Same old question needs same old straight up advice...16 MH or MBP?

sukisails

Hi All,

Apologies for repeating this question for the thousandth time, but I really need a straight up answer as you can give.

I am 16 and half and have noticed my hairline has gone up a bit. My father is bald but my maternal Gradnfather is still fine.

Hopefully I was able to load the images correctly.

attachments below

My father thinks it's a mature hairline (I recognize after checking other posts, that some feel that's misnomer whilst others don't).

Thus am I going bald or getting a mature hairline?

Please help.

IMG_20200715_124158.jpg

IMG_20200715_123956.jpg

IMG_20200715_123944.jpg

IMG_20200715_123937.jpg

IMG_20200715_123833.jpg

IMG_20200715_123758.jpg

IMG_20200715_123720.jpg

Edited by sukisails
better pics

I think it looks like a maturing hairline tbh, best thing would be to have a dermatologist take a look for you but I think you have nothing to worry about. Forget about it for now and go enjoy your youth, you don't wanna be worrying about hair at your age. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Jor-El said:

Can you get a mature hairline at 16 ??!

I presume your asking the wider and wiser audience.....I certainly hope so and would presume so though they often state it's between 17 and 30 ....i'm sure that's not really gospel, but more an average barometer....more opinions for us novices, sincerely more than welcome

• Like 1

Yes you can - a quick glance at any High School Yearbook will inevitably reveal some guys with hairlines that are maturing - we're all different.  It's understandable that at 16 you're concerned, but revisit your concern in 10 years. 

Seriously.  Else you will start getting really weird and start losing friends.   

• Like 1

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

10 hours ago, voxman said:

Yes you can - a quick glance at any High School Yearbook will inevitably reveal some guys with hairlines that are maturing - we're all different.  It's understandable that at 16 you're concerned, but revisit your concern in 10 years. 

Seriously.  Else you will start getting really weird and start losing friends.   

Thanks Voxman....I hear what your saying , its just that my Dad started receding early and my hair change from juvenile to this in a few short years - compared to some of my friends - is worrying. Holding on to the hope that my maternal grandfather's genes are with me where it matters

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Jor-El said:

Can you get a mature hairline at 16 ??!

Well you are asking if you are going bald, so if you can be going bald at 16 then certainly you can be doing better than that and only receding a little into a higher mature hairline.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators
10 hours ago, voxman said:

revisit your concern in 10 years

Don't wait that long. I went from full head of hair to completely bald in several years less than that.  I'd wait until you are 18 and if it's still getting worse at that time then get on finisteride to try to keep what you have and maybe add a little bit for a few years and then go from there. Don't go too crazy over it though because it doesn't look bad right now.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

9 hours ago, BeHappy said:

Don't wait that long. I went from full head of hair to completely bald in several years less than that.  I'd wait until you are 18 and if it's still getting worse at that time then get on finisteride to try to keep what you have and maybe add a little bit for a few years and then go from there. Don't go too crazy over it though because it doesn't look bad right now.

Thanks for your comments much appreciated..... sorry to be picky - I suppose I am being hyper-sensitive, when you say "It doesn't look bad right now" - do you mean  in terms of myself dealing with mature/maturing hairline or receding hairline (hopefully that made some sort of sense) ?

Edited by sukisails
correction

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

After much discussion with my father and then doctor, I went on Finasteride Propecia in early June 2021. After watching the youtube  show 'Hairloss Show', I decided to go on it 3x week.

I went on it after my hairline appeared to be getting even  worse.

I am terrified now and turn 18 next week.

Pictures are attached.

I am going to increase my dosage to daily (no side effects at all) due to thinking I  might be an outlier . I am tempted to add Dutasteride once a week or Minoxidil (though reluctant to do so as it seems a chore)

My hairline has got worse from my initial pictures I posted, and now I have uploaded shots from  January 2021, August 2021 (6 weeks approx after starting Finasteride), and from yesterday Xmas eve.  

Please give your honest opinion, and I recognise it's only an opinion and not medical advice.

Jan_5.jpg

Jan_4.jpg

Jan_3.jpg

Jan_2.jpg

Jan_1.jpg

dec_2.jpg

dec_3.jpg

dec_4.jpg

dec_5.jpg

dec_1.jpg

aug_1.jpg

aug_2.jpg

aug_3.jpg

aug_4.jpg

aug_5.jpg

Edited by sukisails
grammar

23 hours ago, sukisails said:

Hi All,

After much discussion with my father and then doctor, I went on Finasteride Propecia in early June 2021. After watching the youtube  show 'Hairloss Show', I decided to go on it 3x week.

I went on it after my hairline appeared to be getting even  worse.

I am terrified now and turn 18 next week.

Pictures are attached.

I am going to increase my dosage to daily (no side effects at all) due to thinking I  might be an outlier . I am tempted to add Dutasteride once a week or Minoxidil (though reluctant to do so as it seems a chore)

My hairline has got worse from my initial pictures I posted, and now I have uploaded shots from  January 2021, August 2021 (6 weeks approx after starting Finasteride), and from yesterday Xmas eve.  

Please give your honest opinion, and I recognise it's only an opinion and not medical advice.

Jan_5.jpg

Jan_4.jpg

Jan_3.jpg

Jan_2.jpg

Jan_1.jpg

dec_2.jpg

dec_3.jpg

dec_4.jpg

dec_5.jpg

dec_1.jpg

aug_1.jpg

aug_2.jpg

aug_3.jpg

aug_4.jpg

aug_5.jpg

Hey man i'm not saying this in any negative way but you really should check with a therapist on this. You might get better help talking it through with a professional like that, especially with virtually no hair loss and you being very young. I believe the root of your problem is deeper than physical appearance.