Should I go for another op?

Hi all,

I would like the advice of one of the moderators or doctors if that's ok. I haven't been able to upload any new pics of my ht, but all has gone well and it's growing in nicely. I was very conservative in my first op, mainly because we have no recommended physicians here, but also because there are no coalition physicians. But, i'm reasonably happy. I'll post pics asap but my computer is playing up and not allowing me to upload photos.

It's not as dense as I would like and in my opinion, it looks like a ht on close inspection. But I don't think I could expect much more with only 400 grafts. If you have a look at my photos and imagine the new hairline, I want to bring it down a little further and add more density. I contacted a coalition doc and was quoted 1000 grafts for the work. I really want a strong frontal hairline and would be prepared to have less density towards the back if I continue balding (i'm on dutasteride). I was also told I have enough donor hair for around 7000 grafts. So if I used 1000 of those on the slim frontal region i'm talking about, do you think another 6000 grafts would be enough to cover the remainder of my head with a satisfactory cosmetic appearance? I was thinking it could be graded, gradually going thinner as it goes back.

I hope the drugs are enough to keep my remaining hair because my family pattern tells me I will be completely bald on top by age 60, but high hairline around the back and sides.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi all,

I would like the advice of one of the moderators or doctors if that's ok. I haven't been able to upload any new pics of my ht, but all has gone well and it's growing in nicely. I was very conservative in my first op, mainly because we have no recommended physicians here, but also because there are no coalition physicians. But, i'm reasonably happy. I'll post pics asap but my computer is playing up and not allowing me to upload photos.

It's not as dense as I would like and in my opinion, it looks like a ht on close inspection. But I don't think I could expect much more with only 400 grafts. If you have a look at my photos and imagine the new hairline, I want to bring it down a little further and add more density. I contacted a coalition doc and was quoted 1000 grafts for the work. I really want a strong frontal hairline and would be prepared to have less density towards the back if I continue balding (i'm on dutasteride). I was also told I have enough donor hair for around 7000 grafts. So if I used 1000 of those on the slim frontal region i'm talking about, do you think another 6000 grafts would be enough to cover the remainder of my head with a satisfactory cosmetic appearance? I was thinking it could be graded, gradually going thinner as it goes back.

I hope the drugs are enough to keep my remaining hair because my family pattern tells me I will be completely bald on top by age 60, but high hairline around the back and sides.

Thanks,

Matt

Matt-sydney, Don't let someone cut you open for just a few hundred grafts! The scar does tend to get bigger with more HTs, as in my case. I would now, knowing what I know,not go in for anything less than 2500 grafts, and I mean not even 2499! It's more efficient for your donor and better long-term planning.

Matt,

I'll be happy to do my best to offer my input, but without photos of your head, it would be highly difficult to give you any real advice as to how many grafts you might need to meet realistic goals.

6000 grafts is a very large number and if you've already had a procedure, assuming you have this much donor left, it will most likely take a couple sessions to harvest this many grafts.

As to how many grafts you will need to accomplish your goals, feel free to use our animated graft calculator. Of course, this shouldn't replace estimates given by a qualified surgeon. Ultimately, you should speak to a high esteemed surgeon to develop long term hair restoration goals and the best way to achieve them.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hi guys,

Thanks for the response. I'm hoping I won't need any more surgery once I get the frontal area the way i'd like it because i'm hoping the drugs will keep the rest in place. They seem to be doing on ok job so far.

Bill, I have a post here with photos when I had my surgery. Can you access it? If you can just imagine the scabbed area now has hair, I want to bring it down another .5cm or so and thicken it up.