Does shaving your head with a razor affect the quality of the potential donor follicles??

If a person shaves his head every few days with a razor - can that in any way negatively affect the potential donor hair follicles for a future hair transplant? I've heard rumors about this and just want to know if anyone has had any actual experience with this. I want to know if I can shave my head with a razor or if I have to stick with the clippers.

No, why should it?

Thinking about it though, it may be more coincidental.  I would look at family history first. And would let my hair grow for about a week.  Check what the Norwood pattern is, if there is one).  You can then continue shaving all you want - and stop blaming the loss on the razor.  

Not that I think that my hairloss is caused by using the razor. Just wondering if the razor blades can damage my donor follicles and make them less likely to grow when transplanted. I'm super paranoid about this whole hair transplant thing.

56 minutes ago, Toms said:

Not that I think that my hairloss is caused by using the razor. Just wondering if the razor blades can damage my donor follicles and make them less likely to grow when transplanted. I'm super paranoid about this whole hair transplant thing.

NO.  Are you doing any type of medical therapy?  What's your family history of hair loss?

• Administrators

No shaving your hair will not damage your hair follicles.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 12/15/2019 at 11:06 PM, LaserCap said:

NO.  Are you doing any type of medical therapy?  What's your family history of hair loss?

Nope, not doing any therapy. Father, all uncles are NW2-NW4.