Can you get more grafts by doing FUT than FUE vs. doing FUE's only?

I asked this about ten years ago. Back then there was this herd mentality against FUE and for FUT. FUE has improved since. Anyway, back then a few people who claimed they were the experts of this forum vouched you can get more grafts by (first Maxing out on FUT's and then doing FUE's) versus (doing FUE's only). But when you pressed them for a reason or for why they thought so, they got all defensive and would give ridiculous rationales that were basically in the nature of 1+1=3. Of course, they did not realize that was the logic they were offering. It may be they were correct, but if so, they had no idea why. It may be they were incorrect. 

Unless you have a tight scalp it will 'probably' be better to max out FUT

You could write a paper on the reasons, but to put it simply:  Max out with FUE first and it will be hard to hide a linear scar.  Versus: Max out on FUT first and (provided the scar is decent) you can still take FUE over a decent surface area without exposing the scar.

FUT has the same effect as having 'FUE-ed 100% of the FUT region, and then cut out the empty space'.  If you get what I mean.  Whereas if you never took the FUT you could never access 100% of the hairs in that region via FUE alone.

Some people claim that the crown expands as you take more FUT, but that has not been my experience.  I believe the portion of scalp below the scar is where the stretch-back occurs as the skin is thinner in this area.

Edited by 1978matt
  • Like 1

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day