Is it possible to do a hair transplant to camouflage my cleft lip? (pictures)

Hi!

I recently started exploring options to improve the appearance of my cleft lip and one of the options I found online was to do a hair transplant, so I could grow a mustache over it. I considered doing another plastic surgery, but multiple doctors talked me out of it as it carried additional risks and would not be really worth it. So my next best option would be to grow a mustache over it and maybe some micro pigmentation later on. I live in Europe, but I can travel to Canada or the USA to do this transplant, are there any doctors on here who would do such a procedure or maybe any members on here could recommend me a good doctor for this procedure?

I will attach my pics.

Thanks!

20190901_180615.jpg

20191018_151723.jpg

20191018_152313.jpg

20191018_152328.jpg

20191018_154517.jpg

20191018_154521.jpg

Edited by Fusion

That is probably much more noticeable to you than it is to us.  I can't see why you couldn't get a small transplant and grow out your mustache.  Have you tried growing out you mustached just the way it is?  Really only on the 4th picture is it noticeable and even then not that much.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

Just now, Dazed said:

That is probably much more noticeable to you than it is to us.  I can't see why you couldn't get a small transplant and grow out your mustache.  Have you tried growing out you mustached just the way it is?  Really only on the 4th picture is it noticeable and even then not that much.

In certain angles/lighting it looks worse than other angles, I tried to do daylight photos(cloudy weather today), but in artificial lighting it looks worse in my opinion. I tried to grow my mustache, but it looks really uneven then, because mustache does not grown on my scar and just leaves empty space(line) in the middle, I would like to have that fixed so I can grown a small mustache! :)

• Moderators

So it looks and sounds like you just need a few grafts in and around the scar. Is that right? This should be easy to do and only take a few grafts. I think you should take the grafts from the beard area under your chin as those would be more similar to your mustache hairs than scalp hairs.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

2 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

So it looks and sounds like you just need a few grafts in and around the scar. Is that right? This should be easy to do and only take a few grafts. I think you should take the grafts from the beard area under your chin as those would be more similar to your mustache hairs than scalp hairs.

Yeah, I would like to do the whole scar from my upper lip up to my nose. From what I could find online it would take like 70 or so grafts, so taking them from my beard should not be a problem, if that would give me the best results.

My best friend growing up had that and he did very well with a mustache.  To tell you the truth I never even thought about it.  It is much more noticeable to you than it is to others.  It sure hasn't held Joaquin Phoenix back.

image.thumb.png.9bbff71411bc2a015c4ab74afc5a1c7e.png

Edited by Dazed
  • Like 1

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

On 10/19/2019 at 12:29 AM, Gasthoerer said:

Did you grow a beard before? Just like it is. Did you like it? 

I assume you meant mustache? It would look good, if I did not have that empty "space" in the middle where is my scar, which is what I would like to fix. If I can get my mustache fixed, I would like to have this beard/mustache style:

Stubble-Beard.jpg.9b697ea71dfb2733594a4c0d2303bc18.jpg

17 hours ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

I think it will work. Best of luck and let us know if you have any questions

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Dazed said:

My best friend growing up had that and he did very well with a mustache.  To tell you the truth I never even thought about it.  It is much more noticeable to you than it is to others.  It sure hasn't held Joaquin Phoenix back.

image.thumb.png.9bbff71411bc2a015c4ab74afc5a1c7e.png

I agree, I probably see it more than others, but it is always on my mind, so if this is a minor procedure, I dont see any downsides in doing it as far as I can tell. He is not the only actor/celebrity with a cleft lip, there are few others also, such as Jesse Jackson( he hides it well under his mustache,me which is what I would want to do), Stacy Keach, Zamir White and others. Anyways, I googled a few doctors who have done similar procedures, I will send them an email on Monday.