is Finasteride Necessary for Transplanted Hair ?

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to have an opinion here, and maybe ask for the Info and knowledge you guys (Guys who have undergone Hair Transplant)  would have acquired from your respective surgeons, on if Finasteride is required to keep/maintain for your Transplanted Hair aswell ? Or is it only more for the Already existing Native Hair ? Because a lot of Dr prescribe Finasteride even after a HT so there are two different lobbies on this.

But what is the general opinion ?

Most will agree the characteristics of the donor hair is different than the rest.  There is hair dominance that will typically remain regardless of where it's placed.  Somehow the hair retains a memory.  This is why it is the hair mostly used in hair transplant procedures.  This hair requires no medication.

Unfortunately, the donor area is finite and there is typically not enough hair in that area to allow for a full set of hair, particularly when dealing with an advanced pattern.  It is essential the patient retain all the native hair to allow for a fuller look.  This is why the medication is prescribed before or after a procedure.  If there is no native hair left, no need to take the med.

What are the two different lobbies, as you put it?

There's one which says Finasteride is not required for optimal growth of Transplanted Hair. And one which believes Without Finasteride the growth of transplanted hair is very ordinary. It does not grow to its full potential without Finasteride !!

It really varies case by case, and different surgeons have different opinions on the matter. Generally speaking, it seems most surgeons would recommend taking Finasteride in conjunction with a HT, but by no means is it a deal breaker. I took it on and off for a couple of years (started at the recommendation of Dr. Mohebi) but stopped a few years ago due to mild side effects. I've managed to hold up just fine without it, but that's not always the case. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56