Is it safe to use lightening hair products like John Frieda after having had HT?

Clerks, 

It looks like the main ingredient used to lighten the hair shafts is hydrogen peroxide. This may be a little harsh on your still healing scalp. I typically tell patients that hair "dyes" are okay pretty much any time post-day 10 or so, but things like bleach treatments or anything containing chemicals which may irritate the skin could be excessive. Did you ask your clinic? 

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

1 hour ago, clerksband said:

Thanks, Mick. Did he told you when it would be safe to use? 1 year mark, longer?

Best to ask your Doc when he thinks it is safe. In my opinion is is better to err on the side of caution with post op care form a phychological standpoint as well as a physical one ..you don't want to be always thinking did I do something to hinder recovery etc .

As Doctor Bloxham said it's the peroxide which can be harsh on the scalp etc .I personally would give it at least a year before I used a harsh chemical like peroxide .  I did not have a hair transplant with Dr Bloxham just to be clear . 

I would never use any harsh chemicals like hydrogen peroxide on my hair.  There are plenty of other hair coloring alternatives such as Just for Men that do not contain peroxide.

You just may need to apply them more often but in the long run, more safe to use.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Just now, gillenator said:

I would never use any harsh chemicals like hydrogen peroxide on my hair.  There are plenty of other hair coloring alternatives such as Just for Men that do not contain peroxide.

You just may need to apply them more often but in the long run, more safe to use.

And those would be safe to use in my case (7th month post-HT) ?

I believe so because of the lack of harsh chemicals...you always want to read the ingredients of any product before using to make sure what's being added to it.

But always run this past your surgeon first.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

11 hours ago, clerksband said:

I haven’t no. So you using this might not be good even in the 7th month mark?

If you were my patient, I would probably try to advise you against it at this point. I know it seems like 7 months is an eternity, but the trauma is still pretty recent for your body and the skin is very much still healing. The peroxide is likely just a little too irritating. I honestly would not be as worried about the hair shafts, more the healing scalp skin. Again, however, definitely follow your own doctor's instructions. I am glad you reached out to them. Also, have you concerned a product that lightens with more natural ingredients? Sometimes dyes will use things like lemon juice to lighten the hair. This should be more tolerable if applied to the healing skin. 

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.