Increasing Minoxidil penetration

LeesHair

Hi All,

I've read a lot on other forums about new ways of increasing Minoxidil penetration. The theory is, (and great if it works) that more penetration would give more effect from the same concentrations of Minoxidil.

Most discussions have been about nanosomal forms of Minoxidil like Spectral DNC, which sound great. However I don't think they're available anywhere in the UK, not sure that it's legal as it's an untested modification of a drug? (Laws in the UK are funny about that sort of thing.)icon_confused.gif

My questions about this are: is Spectral DNC legal and available in the UK, and does anyone have any experience with it?

The second thing I've found is the Scalproller, a microneedle roller by nanogen that increases Minoxidil penetration by puncturing the scalp slightly 1000's of times. It looks a bit like a medieval torture device, but they say it doesn't hurt.

I can accept the logic for it increasing Minoxidil penetration, but they also say it can fade scars and possibly grow hair, what are everyone's thoughts?

Hey LeesHair,

I don't really understand the logic of this. By increasing the penetrative ability of minox you will also increase the absorption into the blood stream. Having high levels (relative) of minox in the blood is not a good idea for long term use on your body, particularly the arteries. If you really want to do that why don't you use the higher percentage formula of minox like 15% or whatever. If that doesn't work than I personally would not bother??¦

Blond.

-----------------------------

PhD (Experimental and Clinical medicine)

1.25mg Finasteride

Minoxidil 5% (EOD)

Nizoral 1% (x3/week)

By increasing the penetrative ability of minox you will also increase the absorption into the blood stream.

Correct.

use the higher percentage formula of minox like 15%

Correct. I use the 15% (particularly in the crown)

take care...

With Nanosome I think you do increase penetration into the bloodstream and therefore, I guess you're right it doesn't last as long.

Blood minoxidil levels shouldn't do you much harm actually as it's fairly low toxicity for a drug? Unless I suppose you have low blood pressure anyway or heart problems, that might screw things up a little.

What about the needle idea though, surely if the needles don't go deep enough to break the blood vessels (I guess they don't as they claim there's no bleeding?) you wouldn't get the same problem?

Or would it be the same as it would reach the bloodstream normally, so the faster it goes in to the point where it starts diffusing into the blood the faster it goes into the blood?

I think I've just confused myself there, if someone can make sense of what I'm trying to say please feel free to agree or disagree, and call me an idiot either way! icon_biggrin.gif.

I don't want to use 15%, for a start you can't get it readily in the UK, it's incredibly expensive, and all that alcohol can't do you much good, I get a dry scalp as it is!