Can an FUE trigger hair loss?

I had my first FUE about 10 months ago at the age of 35. I had it because I've had high temples since my early twenties and wanted a nicer hairline e.g. it had nothing to do with sudden hairloss. Now I have a hairline I'm satisfied with and I don't regret having the FUE.

However, I have noticed that the hair on the top of my head is a bit thin, especially around the cowlick on the top back of my head. The problem is that I had longer hair (5-7 cm) for many years before my FUE so I have no idea when this slight thinning could've started. In hindsight I should have had a really short hair cut before the FUE and taken photos from all angles. My question is: could the FUE have triggered any kind of temporary or permanent hairloss (or hair going dormant)?

Unfortunately there are no photos.  But let me assume a few things.  You have dark hair.  Typically there will be a lot of contrast between the color of the hair and the color of the skin and it appears as a thinning issue when, in reality, it is just the contrast causing the problem.

I am hopeful that the doctor did not bring the corners so far down that, as you recede the forelock area, you will eventually end up with a sloping down hairline on the temporal areas, similar to a female hairline. Again, post photos to review.

Oh, the whirl.  That's where the hair stems from a point and goes in all directions.  The hair does not shingle.  This is why  this is the weakest area for us all.  It would actually require tons of grafts to achieve any type of density in this area depending on what native hair you started with.  While this is not your question, I am somewhat assuming these things are contributing to your belief that there is some loss.  Honestly, I would not worry about it.  Consult the doctor and see if there is need for you to be on medical therapy.  Again, post photos, many contributors on this site are here to provide information and help you.

It is unlikely FUE contributed to the loss.  And if it did, (say there is some shock loss of the native hair because of the transplants, this is typically temporary and the hair returns).  Perhaps you can post before and after photos.

I have many pictures of the front from different stages after the FUE. Regarding pictures from the top/back with short hair I can take one right now but I don't have any old ones.

Right after I got home after FUE:

shRd5y5.jpg

A few weeks after when the shedding had finished

Ln4HAl6.jpg

About nine months:

X1URpWX.jpg

Taken right now without flash

Cjlwak9.jpg

Taken right now with flash:

SJMhzyP.jpg

OK, thanks.  A few concerns.  The before photo shows you are receding your entire front, (hairline, forelock and temporal points).  The post op photo shows the doctor concentrated on the hairline and did not blend any grafts to the area behind the grafts he placed.  Did you decide this or did he? (I am curious, did the doctor do the consultation or was it a consultant prior to the doctor walking into the room)?

Your post op photos look nice.  Are you happy with the result?

You are young and, if you've shown the propensity to lose, you will continue losing. When? Don't know--but you will.  Likely you will end up with an inverted U in the front and a weaker middle and perhaps weaker back.  It is imperative you speak with the doctor about medical therapy and the modalities available to you, (Propecia, Rogaine, PRP and laser).  GET ON SOMETHING!

It is encouraging to see the doctor did leave you with an age appropriate hairline and with receded corners.  Regardless of what happens down the road, you will have options.

Unable to see the type of donor you have nor can confirm elasticity.  Next time you meet with the doctor, ask him what number of grafts you have available for the future.  This will, at least, help you plan for the future, pending your decision of getting on something to help you retain and perhaps enhance what you have.

You seem to have a lot of native hair. What a shame not to protect it while you have it.  Once gone, it will not return, this is the time to consider meds.

Yes, I'm definitely satisfied with the result so far. I'm around month 10 now. The front is gradually looking better and better and the hairline is nicer than what I had at age 20 (picture below).

FtdSQx3.jpg

I met with both a doctor and a nurse right before the surgery. I only mentioned my temples so that could be the reason they only focused on that or maybe the top wasn't a concern at that time, hence my post here. I will meet the doctor again at the one year mark so I'll ask him a lot of questions. Even though he could've used a bit more grafts I'm glad that he didn't for two reasons: 1. As you say I want options down the road 2. I'd like to have it really short in the back so I want as little scarring as possible.

Here's what my donor looks like now. A 0 mm fade and outdoor work made some scars show at the bottom. They can probably be hidden though by choosing 1 mm or doing the fade 2 cm lower.

BtwUaTq.jpg

I'm a little wary of medications in general and also of life long extra costs. I also don't want to start off too strong and have to live with any side effects. Are there any shampoos that actually work?

Edited by Swede

• Moderators

The FUE transplant did not cause your hairless in the midscalp. What happened was since you had no hair in the front you were much more concerned about the frontal area prior to the hair transplant. Now that the front has ben taken care of, you are noticing the other thinning areas. 

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Neither FUE nor FUHT "cause" hairloss...DHT does.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Moderators

I don't like how low they went in your donor area. It makes it harder to cover the scars with them being all the way down to to the back of your neck.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.