This topic is only for a discussion and I have the utmost respect for all hair transplant patients. I myself have undergone hair transplant.

Is it a possibility that patients who go for multiple hair transplant procedures even after having a good coverage on their scalp, have a tendency to develop or are experiencing body dysmorphic disorder?

I have always found it intriguing that as a Counsellor, is it more ethical to try and understand where this need for little tweaks and top ups come from? Patients who actually have a visible requirement for the procedure have the obvious reason to opt for the procedure. But at the same time, there are patients who want to take it a notch higher by getting a little bit done here and again go for more sometime later.

Sometimes I see patients who look gorgeous with the hair they have. And their hairlines are so perfect (according to me) but they, however, feel otherwise. It can get downright offensive if I tell them directly that they seem to have the perceived stigma in their mind.

It becomes difficult to understand why an already beautiful growth - which does not cause any physical pain, distress or embarrassment, would drive the individual to enhance it further.

As a Counsellor, it is always on the back of my mind that "isn't it the correct thing to try and help the patient find self-acceptance" first? 

I am of the principle that the patient is taking away happiness and peace when they get a procedure done. However, is it possible if the patient will not be satisfied and if they have an ongoing dissatisfaction and resentment towards themselves?

It is the best thing to do if a patient has a superficial motive to enhance or regain their look by counter attacking baldness. But here are patients who never stop at the surgeries. The procedures keep piling up. They endure the investment of finances, limited donor and all the hassle of getting the procedures done. 

Do you all, as patients for hair transplantation, feel that maybe we could also be looking at situations where people might need more than just a look change? And that era.might need to change something much more than just the outer appearance for them?

With all respect to anyone who reads.

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

Ha think this guy his after your job Melvin..Only kidding ..You raise some interesting points Gabrielle .I'm not going to get into it too much take too long ..all I will say I was listening to the bald truth last week and most of us on here know the 2 guys on there are very experienced and have dealt with a lot of patients over the years ,whether  you like them or not is beside the point.  In both their opinions 40 per cent of guys who have hair transplants are not happy with the outcome ..definitely worth pondering on that .  

5 minutes ago, Mick50 said:

Ha think this guy his after your job Melvin..Only kidding ..You raise some interesting points Gabrielle .I'm not going to get into it too much take too long ..all I will say I was listening to the bald truth last week and most of us on here know the 2 guys on there are very experienced and have dealt with a lot of patients over the years ,whether  you like them or not is beside the point.  In both their opinions 40 per cent of guys who have hair transplants are not happy with the outcome ..definitely worth pondering on that 

The whole product that people are taling away is "satisfaction".

For those who provide it, it is another hair transplant. But for an individual going through it, it is a whole new experience in his life that he pays a hefty amount in the form of finances, emotion and the eternally dreaded "EXPECTATION". 

I didn't know the stats were 40% for those  ot satisfied. I feel much pain for them. I wish there was more mental health awareness. Especially in my country, India. We are getting there but not just yet.

There are so many clinics in India who perform black market surgeries. I do not think that these guys feel the responsibility of the damage they do to people and their emotions.

It is a very sad fact that most of these people who go into surgery are vulnerable people who feel the need to identify themselves with the standards of the world. I seriously doubt that many who get transplant, get it done for themselves. I would highly discourage getting a transplant for the sake of someone else.

In India, we have people, young people, who come in with their parents. The parents feel that the child should get the procedure done. The "patient", himself or herself do not really care and are okay with the way they look. Some are downright not okay with goug in for a surgery. But the parents want them to be perfect for - MARRIAGE. They are constantly reminded that their hair loss is a bad mark on their perceived selves. 

The above is just an example of such wrongs in the society. Naturally, depression and self loathing follow. They never feel good enough.

I really wish that there was a compulsory counseling for every patient seeking hair transplantation or any other cosmetic surgery. I feel that it would definitely help reduce the number of unsatisfied patients around the globe. It would also give quacks a real tough job to bank in on the patient's vulnerabilities.

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ