Losing my temples.....

newly

....I'm not really interested in the idea of getting transplanted hair in my temple region (not the top part of temples, but the actual side of my head). It's frustrating. Already on Rogaine and Propecia. Is it even worth it to dab a q-tip in Rogaine 5% and touch up the temples?? Has anyone had any succes with getting some side temple hair back?? I know someone on here has had to have tried this before. Responses? TIA

Is it even worth it to dab a q-tip in Rogaine 5% and touch up the temples??

Are you saying you only use minoxidil on the crown???

Minoxidil could grow hair on your tongue.

Go ahead... but please not with a q-tip, apply directly on your scalp wherever it's needed. The instructions say it's prescribed for the crown only because this is the area where they decided to focus for the costly human studies (for worldwide approval). Put it on your arm, or wherever you have follicles, and it will help growth right there.

You might want to consider a small FUE session for the temples if your pattern is "very" stable and your hairloss minimal. Think long term planning. Good luck.

Serious, I'm interested by your comments. Was regaine definitely only tested in the Crown area?

I've always refrained from using regaine foam at the front and would be interested to know if other members of this forum share the same opinion.

Which members have have had a positive experience?

Bash77, yes of course minoxidil is helpful on the front. One thing though, if you have vellous hair upfront, you might see a shedding phase due to the acceleration of the hair cycles.

Yes, I use it on the front, and it certainly played a role in maintaining hair upfront, since when I stopped at one point I lost some ground. Fortunately it all came back after I started again.

Minoxidil for hair growth was accidentally discovered. One of the initial anecdotes include some women who were prescribed this drug for high blood pressure. They developed an increase in hair in body parts such as beard and moustache area, hair on the chest, and increased hair on arms and legs. It is not known how the drug stimulates hair growth as of yet. Testing for hair growth as a topical were done on the crown for FDA approval.

Good luck

Serious, is there any evidence to show that Regaine was only tested in the crown area? Grateful if you could send me a link or something please.

Where we get to, is that Regaine does the same job all over. It seems to make no difference whether it's the front or back. In your case, it seems to have worked and that's great!

Newly, keep us posted on your results friend...

Found this text from Bernstein:

Rogaine (Minoxidil) has the potential to work where ever there is miniaturized hair, either the front, top or crown (however, it will not work in areas that are completely devoid of hair). The reason for the misconception that it will not work in the front is because the clinical trial performed by Merck in the 1980's, that led to FDA approval, only studied the vertex (crown) and thus the company was limited to this labeling. Several years later, Merck realized that this was a misjudgment in the design protocol and ran a new study (approximately one fifth the size of their Phase III vertex trial) to document effectiveness of the drug in the front of the scalp. This allowed them to avoid the vertex restriction in their label.

Another reason for the confusion is that since the hair in the crown seems to have a longer miniaturization phase than hair in the temples, there is a greater window of time in which the medication can act on these hairs. This goes for both minoxidil and finasteride (Propecia).

I still have the vertex restriction in the labeling of the generic minoxidil I use. They probably changed the labeling only for Rogaine. Maybe because the original studies that focused on the crown only were much bigger. But it's well known minoxidil will work everywhere anyways. Hope this help.

This certainly does help Serious. Thanks friend for taking the time to find this!

If any members can comments on the effectiveness of regaine to the frontal/temple regions it would be appreciated!

Rogaine has always helped me keep my hair up front. No difference between now and 10 years ago.

To clarify, I've used Rogaine before by dipping the end of a q-tip in the liquid and spread it on the scalp that way. Sure, the 1m measurement isn't calibrated, but after using this product for so long, I've realized that moistening the affected areas works fine. With a q-tip, there's less dripping. Might not work for you, but it did for me in the past.

I tried using Xabdrix 15% plus on my temples a few months ago, but foolishly gave up after a few weeks. I am going to apply that each night before bed...just to the temple region and side hairline. I will give it 4-5 months (since I've always responded so well to minoxidil) and decide if it's working in the temple region. I will update the forum.

minoxidil 5% def works good up front too.

i can't tell for certain whether it is minox or fin that did the trick for me, but i must say that it does work really good on my front 1/3. i started both fin and minox at the same time so that is why it's so hard for me to pinpoint what did what where.

Originally posted by bash77:

Serious, I'm interested by your comments. Was regaine definitely only tested in the Crown area?

I've always refrained from using regaine foam at the front and would be interested to know if other members of this forum share the same opinion.

I'm Rogaine-only. 5% Rogaine branded liquid (I don't like the foam) I'm at the end of my 3rd month and I'm pretty happy with the results. I had very mild recession with temples thinning and receding, I noticed an improvement within 2 weeks, with fine baby hair (my hair is black, so it was visible) and now some of it is full-thickness and others are thickening. Other people have noticed. I have no problem with my crown and I don't apply it there - it's all frontal.

I'm not 100% sure, but I feel like I'm getting more hairy in general. I think the fine hairs on my upper cheeks are slightly thicker, as are hairs on my arms. Nothing too bad though. It doesn't even bother me 0.01%

I don't use finasteride or anything else. I don't have Nizoral or Revita, but I use a Chinese brand of anti-hairfall Shampoo with Jackie Chan on the front.

Myonly concern is that some people say Rogaine loses effectiveness after a few years. I'm glad to see someone had been using it for 9 years.

My only concern is that some people say Rogaine loses effectiveness after a few years.

It doesn't loses effectiveness, it will help hair growth and hair thickening again and again. But it cannot stop Male Pattern Baldness alone (follicle miniaturization), hence the idea to complement it with a 5ar inhibitor (finasteride).

OK, well I guess I'll see how the Minoxidil it helps me hold out. When it goes, it goes, and I suppose I'll just shave it all.

I'm not prepared to have surgery.

OK, well I guess I'll see how the Minoxidil it helps me hold out. When it goes, it goes, and I suppose I'll just shave it all.

One advice though (and you have no idea how important is that advice...), don't stop minoxidil even if you think it loses efficacy. I would say the same about finasteride.

You never really understand how much these meds help... until you stop.

Unless, of course, you like clogged drain pipes and plumber bills. And waxing your scalp to make it shine...

Just curious though, what's the difference between the follicles miniaturising and hair thinning?

I thought thinning hair was the follicles shrinking and the hairs get finer?

Right now, Minoxidil seems to be reactivating/reversing that, first growing vellus hairs which have started to thicken up.

If those hairs start to get fine and the follicles close up, isn't that the same as the Minoxidil stopping working?

Finasteride will inhibit 5ar, one of the main cause of follicle miniaturization, and will prevent hair loss in the process.

Minoxidil will make your hair grow, and regrow, and will help hair to become stronger in the process, but does not act as a 5ar inhibitor.

Therefore, as strong as minoxidil can be, it cannot overcome miniaturization (MPB) alone, and even if it's growth power is intact, miniaturization should slowly / gradually win the fight in the end.

The synergy between the two is quite interesting...

I see.

Well, I hope they can come up with something that can inhibit DHT/5ar just locally in the scalp so I can take it without side effects, in the next few years. I guess I've got another 4-5 years (with minoxidil) before it'll be really obvious that I'm losing hair.

• 4 months later...
Originally posted by bash77:

------------------------------------------------

I am on finasteride and noticed that it works well on the crown, but the sides..ugh..I need help with regrowth. I use Spectral DNC all over the place wherever I see I need regrowth. it is very good. I hope fin does not hinder growth on the sides. im a woman and I need hair on the sides.