Unusual Question About Shock Loss

Hello 

I'm at close to 7 months now and am thrilled with my results (still thinking if I should post my results here). Although my results are good, there is a patch of hair behind the transplanted area which fell out around month 3 and is causing my overall result to suffer. I typically hear of patients encountering shock loss around a few weeks after the surgery but mine started rather late (3 months, when transplanted grafts were just beginning to awaken).

Now, I am wondering if hair that comes back from shock loss (simply put, hairs that exited telogen and entered anagen) always emerges fine, colorless and wispy. I had assumed that only transplanted hairs would emerge out of our scalps with these characteristics, but seeing how no one has analysed how newly sprouted native anagen hair looks like, I figured it's a sound question to ask. If our healthy native hair does indeed start sprouting with these characteristics, I would be a lot more at ease as I'm seeing some recovery in the shock loss area (fine and wispy hairs). The hairs were healthy and actually continued growing as normal until the shock occurred.

• Moderators

New hair always starts as thin, fine, wispy hair. It's no different whether it's a transplanted hair or a new hair from a follicle that recently shed the previous hair. If you had shock loss late, then expect the hair to grow back late. It's going to be about two months behind the transplanted hair if you figure the transplanted hair fell out after one month and the other hair fell out two months later.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Agreeing with BeHappy. Any hairs that shed due to the HT will come in fine and wispy at first and then thicken up and mature over time. I also encourage you to go ahead and post pictures if you believe it will serve you. We may be able to put your mind even more at ease if you post pre-op photos and some current ones. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

11 hours ago, BeHappy said:

New hair always starts as thin, fine, wispy hair. It's no different whether it's a transplanted hair or a new hair from a follicle that recently shed the previous hair. If you had shock loss late, then expect the hair to grow back late. It's going to be about two months behind the transplanted hair if you figure the transplanted hair fell out after one month and the other hair fell out two months later.

This is really interesting! So even the hairs on healthy non-balding people start off their growth cycles as fine, wispy and colorless hair? 

6 hours ago, pkipling said:

Agreeing with BeHappy. Any hairs that shed due to the HT will come in fine and wispy at first and then thicken up and mature over time. I also encourage you to go ahead and post pictures if you believe it will serve you. We may be able to put your mind even more at ease if you post pre-op photos and some current ones. 

Alright, I will post pictures soon. I'm a young Asian (23 years old), so I believe there'll be a niche crowd who'll it be helpful for.

Many hair restoration physicians suggest the usage of Minxidil shortly after a hair transplant procedure to minimize the shock loss of native hair in the grafted areas and it may even stimulate earlier growth of the transplanted hairs. There is certainly the possibility of hair loss/fallout in areas were native was present when minixidil is discontinued.