What's the most extreme norwood 7 you've ever seen?

my friend's dad is 50 and he literally has a wreath of hair that's like an inch long on the sides and his crown is even further dipped. I would legitimately say 90% of his head is totally bald

We should almost call that a Norwood 8

I would say this man has a lot less hair than even Steve Ballmer. Probably a good inch lower on the sides

Both-Bill-Gates-and-Steve-Ballmer-Are-Sc

Edited by AnalogFeel
  • Like 1

• Moderators

My hair is lower on the sides than this picture and what's left is also thinner. However I had a hair transplant, so it's hard to say for sure how much hair I would actually have if I didn't have the hair transplants. I'm early 100% positive I would be the same as my uncle and another relative. My uncle and the other older relative who passed away years ago are some of the the worst I've seen due to their extreme thinning sides with only a few hairs left on the sides of their heads. I am of course almost there as well, but as I said it's hard to compare me with them as I've had the remaining hair spread all over.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators

I stumbled upon this gentleman on YouTube. This is actually shocking, there’s not enough donor hair to even recreate a hairline. Individuals with this level of hair loss can either do SMP which I would probably opt for or a hair system. I don’t know if medications would even work for this level of hair loss.

D2DC06D4-1593-4CEF-BFCF-5CD20B27C299.jpeg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I stumbled upon this gentleman on YouTube. This is actually shocking, there’s not enough donor hair to even recreate a hairline. Individuals with this level of hair loss can either do SMP which I would probably opt for or a hair system. I don’t know if medications would even work for this level of hair loss.

hoooooly sh*t look how bald that is

• 4 years later...
On 11/21/2018 at 6:39 PM, SBSinNYC said:

I’m curious, what is the point of this thread?  You aren’t NW7.  You’ve already had a transplant.   Are you just trying to make people feel bad about their situation?  Is this what this forum is for?

It's a useful exercise to help people realise how bad it can get and what the limits are for regular mbp 

Jon polito seems a good example of extreme nw7. I think we need a Norwood 8 classification for this level. 

Screenshot_20230225-181415_Ecosia.jpg

On 11/20/2018 at 12:22 AM, Melvin- Moderator said:

i think a hairsystem is not possible at this point without looking obvious no?

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Rafael Manelli said:

It's a useful exercise to help people realise how bad it can get and what the limits are for regular mbp 

Jon polito seems a good example of extreme nw7. I think we need a Norwood 8 classification for this level. 

Screenshot_20230225-181415_Ecosia.jpg

That is VERY similar to what I'd look like if I never had transplants. I'm an extreme NW 7.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators

This is why I don't believe any Dr who says they take the worst case scenario into account when they design your hairline, amount of density to transplant at, etc. If they really took the worst case scenario into consideration they wouldn't do any hair transplants at all.

• Sad 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

6 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

This is why I don't believe any Dr who says they take the worst case scenario into account when they design your hairline, amount of density to transplant at, etc. If they really took the worst case scenario into consideration they wouldn't do any hair transplants at all.

Yeah someone like Jon polito or dr Phil has no chance of getting a full result sadly. The best docs can hope for in a worst case scenario is that it at least doesn’t look unnatural. Jon still has enough hair to cover a strip scar if he grows it out a little. But why would he bother getting an ht?

• Moderators

Steve Ballmer is pretty bad.

image.png.b7e8c9bf36fb8a39adfb37ad4a7eafe5.pngimage.png.2cb1375512d386952cd37ba0b4836801.png

• Wow 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Rafael Manelli said:

Do you have photos? 

This is me a couple of years ago. Everything on top is transplanted or else I'd be completely shiny bald

1269457112_ScreenShot2021-07-29at3_29_49AM.png.2f9ca2a6cdf70daa1e5cc768aa291635.png.e9c7067059c31c2cc87b568a9d0c6813.png

I'll add a back picture too, so you can see how far up the retrograde has gone. I have only a small bit of natural hair between the lower crown balding line and the upper retrograde loss. You can see the transplant scars from years ago. There's numerous rows of them because they used to create a new scar each time.

ScreenShot2021-08-03at6_50_00AM.png.0fd6c14744d9eab4092f646ce57615a8.png

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

1 minute ago, BeHappy said:

This is me a couple of years ago. Everything on top is transplanted or else I'd be completely shiny bald

1269457112_ScreenShot2021-07-29at3_29_49AM.png.2f9ca2a6cdf70daa1e5cc768aa291635.png.e9c7067059c31c2cc87b568a9d0c6813.png

I'll add a back picture too, so you can see how far up the retrograde has gone. I have only a small bit of natural hair between the lower crown balding line and the upper retrograde loss. You can see the transplant scars from years ago. There's numerous rows of them because they used to create a new scar each time.

How many surgeries and grafts did you get and who were the surgeons? 

Looks like they did a number on your donor. That is some of the most extreme retrograde I've seen. 

1 hour ago, BeHappy said:

have you considered smp at that point?

• Moderators
On 2/26/2023 at 8:39 AM, Rafael Manelli said:

How many surgeries and grafts did you get and who were the surgeons? 

Looks like they did a number on your donor. That is some of the most extreme retrograde I've seen. 

This was started 34 years ago in 1989 when I was 22. It was thick hair in the back when they did it. You can clearly see the lower donor scar running through no hair.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

• Moderators
23 hours ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

have you considered smp at that point?

No.

1. Too many scars.

2. If I wanted a shaved head look I would have shaved my head.

3 Too fake. SMP is just a tattoo on your head. Not for me, although I know some people are OK with it which is fine if it works for them. Besides, now that I have a lot of gray hair (although I color it every month), I think SMP to add a look of density would also look fake as the gray starts coming in and what if I ever decide to stop dying it.

4. I have (had) a lot of body hair, so I've been using that to get as much hair on my head as I can.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

Just now, BeHappy said:

No.

1. Too many scars.

2. If I wanted a shaved head look I would have shaved my head.

3 Too fake. SMP is just a tattoo on your head. Not for me, although I know some people are OK with it which is fine if it works for them. Besides, now that I have a lot of gray hair (although I color it every month), I think SMP to add a look of density would also look fake as the gray starts coming in and what if I ever decide to stop dying it.

4. I have (had) a lot of body hair, so I've been using that to get as much hair on my head as I can.

Do you have recent pics? 

• Like 1