Scalp condition Pre HT

Hey all,

This is a question that I shall be asking my potential HT doctor over the next few days, and I already feel I know the answer.

Having using Mane Thickening Spray far too intensely over the past 2 1/2 years, and working 6 days a week so therefore, living with this in my hair and on my scalp. As im sure you can imagine, my scalp is not 100% in health. The extremitys are reddening and saw areas and dry skin. They are currently of some concern to me. Without ever scabbing, bleeding or "pussing" however.

Unfortunately, my situation will not be changing too much regarding spray usage over the next 6-9 months due to work commitments and saving for a HT. So with this is mind, my 2 questions are:

1) How important is it for the scalp to be in perfect condition pre HT?

2) I plan to take two months off before my HT to get me scalp in much better condition. Without seeing any photos of my scalp but going on description, will this 2 month period prove sufficient?

Looking at photos now of my scalp, there is a slight redness but nothing that shows up too definately on the camera.

Thanks for your help!!!

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Hey all,

This is a question that I shall be asking my potential HT doctor over the next few days, and I already feel I know the answer.

Having using Mane Thickening Spray far too intensely over the past 2 1/2 years, and working 6 days a week so therefore, living with this in my hair and on my scalp. As im sure you can imagine, my scalp is not 100% in health. The extremitys are reddening and saw areas and dry skin. They are currently of some concern to me. Without ever scabbing, bleeding or "pussing" however.

Unfortunately, my situation will not be changing too much regarding spray usage over the next 6-9 months due to work commitments and saving for a HT. So with this is mind, my 2 questions are:

1) How important is it for the scalp to be in perfect condition pre HT?

2) I plan to take two months off before my HT to get me scalp in much better condition. Without seeing any photos of my scalp but going on description, will this 2 month period prove sufficient?

Looking at photos now of my scalp, there is a slight redness but nothing that shows up too definately on the camera.

Thanks for your help!!!

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Raphael,

If you consider a garden metaphor, plantation and vegetation are best for growing in healthy, fertile soil. Too many roots, rocks, or bad soil may impact growth. The same thing goes for hair transplantation. Assuming the follicular unit grafts aren't damaged in any way prior to insertion into balding areas, a healthy scalp will maximize hair growth whereas an infected or inflamed scalp may negatively impact hair growth.

It would be wise to cease the use of any hair loss or other products that's causing any scalp irritation or inflammation. After all, continued scalp irritation may begin to affect natural hair growth. Though 2 months prior to your hair transplant procedure may be enough, have your hair restoration physician evaluate your scalp and give you his/her professional medical input far enough in advance of scheduling surgery.

Best wishes,

Bill

Raphael84,

Here are some few basic instructions prior to HT:

1) Do not take medications that contain Acetylsalicylic Acid, like aspirin, before the procedure

2) Do not take for at least 1 week before the procedure anti-inflammatory medications or steroids (Voltaren, Cataflan, Ibuprofen, Walcofen, ect??¦) and do not take any ???Nature products??? (Gingobiloba, Ginseng)

3) Do not drink alcohol at least 5 days before the procedure

4) (MEN) Do not use Minoxidil (Rogaine) one week before the procedure

5) (WOMEN) Use Minoxidil (Rogaine) one week before the procedure

6) Do not take Vitamin E or other vitamins for 3 weeks before the surgery

7) Suspend GYM activities for at least 5 days before the procedure

8) DO NOT SMOKE for at least 5 days before the procedure

To All,

Feel free to add any more to list.

take care...

Hey Mmhce,

I was just wondering why you feel it is so important to stop smoking 5 days before?

I know different clinics have different guidelines, for example my clinic requests that patients don't have alcohol for 2 days, and not to smoke 1 day prior to the procedure (personally, I gave up 2 months before as I wanted to quit anyways and the transplant was a good excuse).

I only bring it up as you put "DO NOT SMOKE" in capitals as to suggest that it is the most important precaution.

Some clinics (including Hasson and Wong) which I read actually allow you to smoke during breaks, and I believe Dr. Feller allows you to smoke up until the night before.

I would have found it very very difficult to quit 5 days before my op.

I think smoking is overblown as to detrimental effects on a HT. But obviously it's best if you never smoked. (This is just my layman's opinion from reading though. So I could be wrong.)

Bill is absolutely correct when it comes to scalp health IMHO.

Just like you want fertile soil to grow plants you want good scalp conditions to grow hairs IMHO.

I never realized how bad my scalp condition was until I started reading up on MPB. Treating my ridiculously unhealthy scalp condition had to help a little, if not alot?

Our DHT ravaged scalp is home to inflammation, microbes and other "flora" that should be treated.

There are many, many things you can do to help your skin get healthier. The simple ones are medicated shampoos, oils, copper peptides, Retin-A and vitamin C. Anyone can use these things very easily.

Overtime, my scalp changed dramatically. The first time I used Folligen I thought there was a forest fire up there. Within one month of the stuff I mentioned above, I could use Folligen full strength. And my hair got healthier growth also.

As you can see, I'm a huge believer in getting your scalp as healthy as you can. icon_biggrin.gif

Bill, Old Baldy,

Thanks for your remarks. This was the answer that I felt I already knew. As I say, my situation is difficult to change 100% immediately but for sure, the sooner the better. Could you guys or anybody else maybe recommend any products to help with any scalp inflammation?

Originally posted by Raphael84:

Bill, Old Baldy,

Thanks for your remarks. This was the answer that I felt I already knew. As I say, my situation is difficult to change 100% immediately but for sure, the sooner the better. Could you guys or anybody else maybe recommend any products to help with any scalp inflammation?

I edited my post for you. Maybe I'll try and get some old articles also, if I can find them.

Raphael84,

Nizoral is great for scalp inflammation and as I'm sure you have read it is actually widely used as a hairloss treatment. I believe in clinical studies it was found to be as effective as Rogaine 2%.