Recovery time and experiences for HT?

Hey friends! I'm looking to schedule a HT with Dr. Hasson in a few months (I've already had a consultation with him). The thing is that I can't take a lot of time off of work. I'm curious how many days you guys have had pain and inflated faces. I would love to hear all about your own post-op experiences, or any advice you may have!

Are you considering FUT or FUE?  Why?

If you are fair complected?  If you are, transplants may be more visible, or visible for a longer time.  If you are tanned, this will tend to help.

Typically, if you get too active after a procedure, you can experienc some adema.  Gravity takes a hold of it and it goes down the face.  I happens at about 3 days post op and lasts about a day.  You can ice the area or massage down as it tends to drain towards the neck.  So, relax for 7 days. Also, sleep at a 45 degree angle for the first few days.

If your hair is lengthy, and you are doing FUT, most will not see the suture line in the back as the hair will fall down and cover.  On the top, it will depend, again, on the length of hair you currently have.  If long, you can comb it down to cover.  If short, it will probably be a few weeks.  

Most groups will instruct the patient to wash the crusts 7 days post op.  Depending on the color of the skin, as written above, the area may remain somehwat pinkish.  This will eventually go away.  

With regards to pain, stay ahead of it.  Don't wait until you are hurting to then take the meds.  Talk to the Doctor.  Most will also give you post op instructions in writing as to when you should take them.

Lastly, wash as instructed.  I've seen patients, despite the instructions given, go on for weeks without washing the crusts off.  They feel they may damage the grafts.  The grafts are under the skin.  Most will agree that after 4-5 days you can not hurt them.  But most are conservative in their approach and will suggest you wait 7 days.  

FUE is easier on patients as there is no segment removal.  But to do this procedure, most will shave the donor area.  Can you wear a cap at work?  If not, just tell everyone what you are planning on doing.  This typically takes care of that issue.

Oh, if FUT, one more thing.  Avoid weightlifting, (anything involving the neck), for 6-12 months post op.  Because of the movement this can lead to scars widening.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the very detailed response, LaserCap! I'm getting an FUT procedure as it is cheaper. Dr Hasson has been very successful with FUT and has done thousands of them. I also have above average laxity so I'm a good FUT candidate.

I work in an office with no dress code so I can wear a hat for as long as I need to. It wouldn't be unusual. My two major concerns about work are: 1) I want to avoid being at work during the edema so I don't scare anyone. 2) I don't want to be out of work for too long. I can take a few days off  but an entire week could be detrimental to our projects. I'm not sure how much time I will need to take off or what to expect.

To avoid swelling, avoid being too active after a procedure.  Sleep at a 45 degree position for the first 3 days.  If you do get some adema, it typically happens 3 days after the procedure but it is very short lived.  About 1 day.  You can ice the area, (which does not help), but it will help you mentally feel better.  

I think that doing a procedure on a Thursday or a Friday helps tremendously.  This way you can take advantage of the weekend.  Sutures are then removed 10-14 days post op.  

I would keep the hair as long as possible to help you cover the suture line in the back.  

Lastly, and most will not tell you this.  Avoid weight lifting, particularly anything involving the neck, for 6-12 months.  There is so much movement in that area that it can cause scars to widen.

Several things factor into how long you will look bad such as: 

1.FUE or FUT

2. Shaved or unshaved FUT

3. How many grafts

4. Who is doing the work. 

5. Individual healing times vary 

Also, there is no way you need to take 6-12 months off from weight lifting. Ask your doctor and he will tell you the timeline for physical activity.

I had FUE, 1800 graphs

1) Swelling for about 4 Days
2) Scabbing I would say about 7-10 Days. I just had 1800 graphs in corners so I was able to have long hair cover it after hair transplant. It's not really noticable to people at work at this point. If you have hair covering recipient. 
3) I probably could have gone back to work after like about 5 days.
4) Something people don't seem to mention as much. My back of my head was numb for about 2 weeks. Top of my head is still a little numb at 2 months.

fallinghare, I suffered no edema with either FUT or FUE.  My major issue was with the scabs, and they took about 2 weeks to fall off  I took 2 weeks off work and nobody knew when I went back.  If you can't take time off disguising the transplant will be difficult.  Realistically you may just have to bite the bullet and take the ribbing.  Look at it this way, you could have had your head shaved and put up with the ribbing for months.  I just had FUE with the shaved donor area, but lucky for me I am retired and nobody could poke fun at me.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

Triple7; thanks, I'll check with my doc about taking time off of weightlifting.

here; thanks for sharing. 5 days doesn't sound so bad. I hope your numbness goes away. Is temporary numbness this common?

Dazed; thanks for sharing your experience. I've had my head shaved many times before, so nobody would bat an eye at that. I can also wear a hat at my job, so nobody would know. I'm mostly worried about scaring coworkers with my swollen face. Glad to hear you didn't have any swelling!

Spex; great video! I've watched it twice. Thanks for sharing.