Unsure of correct treatment

Done a lot of reading around this forum before posting but I have a few specific questions so decided to post.

I’ve always had a high hair line and double crown but I’ve noticed over the past 12 months that my hair is rapidly starting to thin, especially in those two areas.

The (albeit remote) possibility of PFS has completely ruled-out Fin for me, particularly because I’m in a very people-focused job. The risk isn’t worth it. So now I’m pretty much just looking at scalp treatments to try to prolong the life of my hair.

I read that peppermint oil is excellent for hair regrowth so I’ve bought some and mixed with a carrier oil for treatment but that’s pretty annoying as it gets oil everywhere and forces me to wash my hair every day which isn’t ideal for it either. 

So my first question is: can I just mix the peppermint oil into a normal shampoo or something like Alpecin or Nizoral which are supposed to help?

Second question is whether I should consider things like Minoxidil and derma rollers? I’ve heard some people say Minoxidil did wonders for them but apparently the active ingredient only works for like 50% of the population and it’s EXPENSIVE (side bar: is it possible to test whether I’m one of those 50% before investing in a course). Derma rollers are relatively low cost but I heard they hurt like hell so interested to hear som experiences around that.

Finally, is there anything else I can/should be doing to help?

Much appreciated!

11 hours ago, Twentyfive25 said:

The (albeit remote) possibility of PFS has completely ruled-out Fin for me, particularly because I’m in a very people-focused job.

There is more internet content warning of PFS than people who have suffered from it. It is quite rare. A few thousand possible cases where men experienced at least one symptom among tens of millions of finasteride users. More commonly, a small percentage of people experience side effects that go away after the drug is discontinued.

I’m not sure how much peppermint oil will help, but it probably won’t hurt. I suspect if it made a big difference people would have figured that out many years ago. And some shampoos already include it.

Minoxidil is effective for many people, but not as effective as finasteride. If you’re in the US, Costco has good prices.

Some people have also had luck with Biotin, which is cheap and easy to find. Published studies are inconclusive though.

Whatever you try, you need to keep on it for six months to see what kind of benefit it does or does not provide. There are no quick fixes.

4 hours ago, Spaceman said:

There is more internet content warning of PFS than people who have suffered from it. It is quite rare. A few thousand possible cases where men experienced at least one symptom among tens of millions of finasteride users. More commonly, a small percentage of people experience side effects that go away after the drug is discontinued.

I’m not sure how much peppermint oil will help, but it probably won’t hurt. I suspect if it made a big difference people would have figured that out many years ago. And some shampoos already include it.

Minoxidil is effective for many people, but not as effective as finasteride. If you’re in the US, Costco has good prices.

Some people have also had luck with Biotin, which is cheap and easy to find. Published studies are inconclusive though.

Whatever you try, you need to keep on it for six months to see what kind of benefit it does or does not provide. There are no quick fixes.

Be that as it may, PFS would destroy my career and ruin my life. Even a 1 in a million chance is not worth it just to keep my hair. I’m happy for all the people that have used it successfully but I’m not personally willing to take the risk. Especially with there being so few viable treatment options for it.

Can I infer from your statement that there is no way to pre-test the effectiveness of Minoxidil then?

I don’t know of any way to test Minoxidils effectiveness on you other than to try it. And of course there is no reason to take finasteride if you’re not comfortable with the risk. No one needs hair loss treatment. Its only a cosmetic benefit.

2 hours ago, ndubya said:

X2?

I worked it out and didn't post. Sorry. It is post finasteride syndrome. Dr Feriduni talked to me about it. I said I didn't want to take medication and he said that's a good idea because of PFS and then said sometimes, for some people, the side effects never go away if you use it. F that! Google it. There are lots of pages on it.

Propecia, Rogaine, laser therapy and PRP are the only modalities approved/relased by the FDA for retention and enhancement of the native hair.  There are tons of other products that seem to appear out of no-where - and that claim to provide some type of benefit.  Like I tell patients, if something works for you, continue using .  The mechanism of action of each of these it totally different and there is synergism when used together.

With regards to the "mint," and there are plenty out there, they give the sensation of cleanliness.  Not sure if they are contributing in any way.  If they do help, continue using.

With regards to the finasteride, many believe that if you never had a side effect, you never will.  Never heard of PFS.  Understanding that there is more testosterone with the med, I kind of concetrate on that when I take it.  Been at it for more than 20 years and never had an issue.

I am aware of one doctor that did a thesis on the subject.  He seems to think that eventually this can have an affect on the mental capacity of patients, memory loss, dementia, etc.  Guess I'll wait until I am older to confirm this.  Anyone else has an opinion?