Stopping Finasteride/Dutasteride b/c Side Effect after FUE? - Alt Options?

I've been taking Finasteride and Dutasteride for a few years now, and had FUE for my frontal area about two years ago. I am really noticing sexual side effects from the Dutasteride and want to stop taking it but am worried all my original hair will fall out leaving the transplanted hair alone at the front of my face. I also use Minoxidil and a caffeine spray. Is there a natural supplement option or alternative/additional topical options?

Edited by FUE-or-bust

• Administrators

Dutasteride is not approved for hair loss, so you’ve been using it for off-label usage. If I were you I would stick with finasteride and minoxidil.  I doubt you’ll see much of a change, maybe slightly, but not a lot. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

It's hard to say for sure, but I think I noticed some side effects on Finasteride. I used it some years ago and noticed them then and stopped because of the side effects. Then I started taking it again before doing FUE. After reading Dutasteride was more effective (and at the time covered by my insurance) I switched.

• Administrators

I think youd be surprised switching from dutasteride to finasteride, for one dutasteride was never approved for hair loss. Secondly, dutasteride almost completely inhibits DHT and finasteride in low dosages inhibits DHT, but not nearly as much and also is still effective for hair loss.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

2 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I think youd be surprised switching from dutasteride to finasteride, for one dutasteride was never approved for hair loss. Secondly, dutasteride almost completely inhibits DHT and finasteride in low dosages inhibits DHT, but not nearly as much and also is still effective for hair loss.

Thanks for the advice. I guess it couldn't hurt to try switching. I am just concerned reading about permanent side effects, and before they get worse, I was thinking of trying to reverse them by stopping.

• Administrators

Well even so, its never good to quit cold turkey, I think reducing the dosage and to finasteride could actually alleviate the side effects, but always consult with an endocrinologist first. 

View my thread