donor scar after care

Just had my HT with Rahal two days ago, I am washing with baby shampoo twice a day and using the vitamen e oil and all, any advice about taking care of the donor scar?? Should i not apply something? Also, should i be drying the donor scar after washing with shampoo?? Pics should be up soon guys, rahal should be sending them soon!

Cheers,

Just had my HT with Rahal two days ago, I am washing with baby shampoo twice a day and using the vitamen e oil and all, any advice about taking care of the donor scar?? Should i not apply something? Also, should i be drying the donor scar after washing with shampoo?? Pics should be up soon guys, rahal should be sending them soon!

Cheers,

Congrats on your HT!! I am sure that you are super excited as I know that I was afterwards.

In terms of the scar, I vigorously washed it the day after (2x a day) to keep it super clean and dried it after. I waited about 3-weeks or so after the sutures were removed to where the scar was fully closed before I began applying vitamin e oil about two to three times a week before bed. Some guys use mederma, kelo-cotex (very expensive) or other similar ointments. I feel that vitamin e oil has worked just fine for me.

Happy healing and congrats again.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

fineredhair, Is it advised by D.Rahal's clinc to put anything on a fresh wound? Even on applying, say, "Polysporin" to a cut or some ointment similar, on the precautions it will say: Don't apply to deep cuts! I would even double-check with a pharmacist and get his professional advise.

I waited about 3-weeks or so after the sutures were removed

I vigorously washed it the day after (2x a day) to keep it super clean and dried it after

Eman,

1.Was this a personal choice to wait this length of time to remove the sutures, was it your doctor's specific recommendation, or is it that sutures require more time than staples?

2.Should one use this measure of force when dealing with the donor area, immediately after the procedure?

Thanks.

take care...

Originally posted by Eman:

No, Dr. Rahal doesn't recommend applying anything to the scar post op; but said the application of the ointments after the scar has closed would be ok.

That's good to know. I was told not to apply anything to the donor scar post-op this time around, but was advised to use Neosporin in the past so I was confused. I recently started using Mederma, but that shit makes my scalp itchy. icon_mad.gif

I might actually just start using the Neosporin again instead, since I treated a crimson scar on my face back in highschool with it (per the recommendation of a dermatologist), and to my surprise it actually faded the scar significantly. This was way after the wound had healed. Strange.

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

Polysporin

I used Polysporin on my scar from day 1 post op. I washed the scar twice a day and then put the polysporin on once again! It aids the healing process and keeps it clean and prevents infection. When I went in to get my sutures removed Dr. Rahal said " clearly you have been taking great care of the donor area young man"! If I was to do it again I would do the same thing!

Canadian_buba

3500 Grafts

Dr. Rahal

Jan 12 09

My Hair Loss WebLog

mmhce- sutures were removed at the 14-day mark per Dr. Rahal's instructions and three weeks after the removal day I began applying vitamin e oil. In terms of cleaning the donor area, I simply washed the area with baby shampoo applying reasonable pressure (not enough to cause too much discomfort) getting all the dried blood initially then simply keeping it very clean. Again, I didn't apply anything until 3-weeks after suture removal or five weeks after my procedure.

I asked Dr. Rahal about polysporin application to the scar during my pre-op consult and he said that it would be fine. So, I also agree with what CB did. I just remember Dr. Rahal being impartial about it, so that is why I didn't apply anything.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

I was given an antibiotic cream from Dr. Wong which I imagine is similar to Polysporin. Sorry I can't remember what it was called.

I was applying this from day 1. When my staples were removed the tech at Dr. Wong's office commented that my scar looked really good.

Once I ran out of the ointment I began to use Vitamin E oil. I tried Mederma but I found that it burned so I'm sticking with the Vitamin E oil for now.

wow guys thanks for responses. Lol eman..dr rahal said i reminded him of you..

Ok so looks like maybe it isnt such a bad idea to put a little polysporin on my donor scar. Right now i wash it and keep it very clean. I have a humidifier at night going constantly keeping air moist. Dr rahal told me the exact same thing as you Eman...2 weeks for sutures to come out and no need to apply anything on the donor scar...but considering canadian bubas success with his donor scar maybe i should go somewhere in between.

As for vigorously washing my scar...i dont apply to much pressure, just lightly press with my finger tips which is indicated in rahals post op instructions..im sure you didnt go that vigorously Eman..lol

Anyhow, im gonna get myself some polysporin, give it a shot....then bug rahal to hurry up and send those pics and have these up in no time. Thanks again yall!!!