If hairs aren't growing out of FUE grafts after 5 months, are the grafts considered dead?

I noticed some of my new grafts transplanted 5 months ago still do not have hairs growing.  I am under the impression when you transplant, the hairs reset to the telogen phase, but this phase is only 3 months.  So to me I would assume that all FUE grafts would be having hairs growing out of them, and the ones not growing, even if it's just thin wispy hairs, are to be considered dead.

I do understand waiting 1 year before final determination, but I assume all my grafts should be having some type of growth by now, no matter how thin or vellous the hairs are.  A good portion of my grafts do have growth fortunately.

Edited by journeyman

Not necessarily. Sometimes people are slow growers and growth will begin a bit later.

However, 5 months you should definitely see signs of growth.

Edited by razzy

HT#1 - Dr. Rahal (Jan 2012) - 4700 grafts

HT#2 - Dr. Rahal (Jan 2014) - 1800 grafts

HT#3 - Dr. Konior (Jan 2018) - 1200 grafts

The resting phase can definitely be longer than 3 months. My experience last time was that there was a fairly even spread of sprouting from 4-6 , and a smaller but clear sprouting right up to 8 months.

But yes by 5 months in general you should be looking at 40-50% sprout minimum or it would be worrying. Not to say that it can't potentially improve a lot though.

Not all of your grafts sprout at the same time so at month 5, it's still early. Most of my grafts started sprouting at month 3, however I'm at almost 9 months and I noticed some of my grafts at the start of my hairline just barely sprouted a couple of weeks ago. 

Edited by newpatient99

Good to know this.  I do have at the very least 50% of my grafts sprouted at this point (5 months).  I have been looking at several areas on my head (one area shown below) and they been looking the same for these 5 months now, so this helps affirm all I will need to do is endure the waiting game more.  This is why I hate doing any medical research solely online (except this site, it's pretty knowledgable), because most google results say the telogen phase is 3 months, which now seems obviously wrong.

1.JPG

2.JPG

Edited by journeyman