Post hair transplant questions

Hello everyone

i got got a few questions for the veterans

1. Any recommendations for a good travel pillow to use after surgery to keep my head propped up?

2. How long after surgery can I typically start using shampoos like nizoral, tgel, and tsal (they r a bit harsh)

3. Is it advised to stop vitamins and fish oil before surgery? If so, why?

4. How many days do I have to apply saline spray to my head after surgery?

5. Is it safe to be out and about exploring the city (in my case Madrid) 2 days after surgery?

6. I’m a light sleeper. Should I look into taking ambien or Xanax before and after surgery?

thanks in advance

Hey jj51702,

congrats for decide doing a HT.

i will try to answer as good as i can.

1. i found that a stiff neck pillow held my neck in the best way while sitting/lying in the 45 degree in the first few days post op.

2.i don't know, i am still using my shampoo gave to me by the clinic, but i think you should use a mild shampoo at the begining, maybe for the first month.

3.i was advised stop taking vitamins and caffeine about 1-2 weeks before op. the explanation regarding the vitamin C was that it thinners the blood and they don't want erupting blood while harvesting your grafts.

4.i stayed 8 days at the clinic. i was told to spray as much as i can, every hour, even half an hour sometimes. i did as i was told and i think by day 6 my scalp was free of scabs. i don't know if it is connected.

5. my guess, 2 days post surgery you would probably still have pain and probably swelling because of the anesthesia, so it depends on your feeling.

6.i was getting pain killers and something for sleep, maybe you will be provided that.

good luck mate.

Edited by wheretogo
  • Thanks 1

Another tip if you are going through A HT.

about the swelling. the swelling actually is the anesthesia fluid coming down from the scalp.

in order to prevent it going down to your eyes use ice packs on your forehead and eyes.

another thing is massage your forehead. put your fingers in the middle of the forehead and then "pull" the skin to the sides of the face, that way you actually drag the swelling to the side of your face and it won't go down to the eyes.

despite that, in my case a little bit of swelling went down to the eyes, but nothing that cause me major discomfort.

the eyes may take some colour, yellow at my case. it will seem like they are bruise, but it will go away after a few days.

good luck.