Staples query

I’m 17 days post FUT.   Half my staples were removed on day 11 and the rest are supposed to go in another week.   In the last day or so, the remaining staples feel like they are looser and it even appears that one may have fallen out on its own.   There is also a tiny bit of evidence of weeping from the strip area on my pillow after last night.  Is this normal or to be expected?

Thanks

The seepage in itself may not be anything serious unless there is an infection.  Have someone look at it...will you be seeing your doctor soon?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Nice deduction!   Saw my doc today.  He removed a few more staples and said there was a minor infection.   Prescribed some topical and oral meds.  Otherwise everything looked ok.  

I think it is standard procedure with my doc.   1/2 out at 10 days.  The other half around 3 weeks.   It’s possible they gave me a couple extra days because I’m diabetic and couldn’t take a steroid for swelling.  Or...it fit their schedule better. 

It sounds like your questions and concerns have been answered but allow me to say that there are certainly cases where Staples can be left in longer. Spencer/specs says that he has not heard cases of staples being left in that long. I actually happen to be one of those cases where my staples for my  third or fourth procedure, I can’t remember which were left in for 22 days. That’s because there was a lot of strain on the donor area and to minimize any risks of stretching, my doctor thought it would be better to err on the side of caution.   

But it sounds like you’re on the right track and now in particular since you have any biotics for the minor infection

Best wishes,

Bill

Staples were used on my 4th and final procedure because my scalp laxity was not as loose as my doctor wanted.  My donor scar healed very well and so that was the bottom line with me.

I do remember that one of the staples got buried into my scalp and my PCP had to literally dig it out without the use of anesthesia....that was no fun at all.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY