Australian Advice.

Hi all,

I suppose my message is more relevant for any fellow Aussies on here, but I was looking for some feedback regarding anyone who has travelled from Aus, to an overseas clinic.

In Australia, we are hard-pressed to find a reputable surgeon, and they are very expensive.

Can any Aussies recommend some clinics that provided a great service? As in: travel, accommodation, transfers, etc?

I have a couple of clinics in mind, but the trip can potentially be a 23 hour plane ride, and I'm interested to know how everyone has found the overall journey.

Thanks everyone!

After years of research I decided on Dr Bisanga in Belgium, this was 4 months ago and so far so good. I almost went with Dr Jennifer Martinick years ago and if not for this forum I'd dare say I'd be one of those repair cases with a nasty scar.

Location was never a consideration for me with the choice of surgeon, I took a 30+ hour flight to Brussels, slept it off that night, surgery all day the next day and then flew out the following evening back to Australia. If you prepare accordingly it's really not as stressful as others make it seem. No one asked any questions and I only got asked twice to remove my bandana at Brussels and Melbourne airports, after explaining briefly and asking for a private room they just let me through without needing to remove anything.

My number one piece of advice is to check in as early as possible for all flights home, and secure a window seat near the toilet if possible. The window seat so that you can wait until everyone gets all there luggage and leaves the plane so you have minimal risk of anything hitting your head, and tells toilet so that you can duck in every hour or 2 to spray the saline on there to keep it moist.

The West Coast of the United States is the closest place to get top notch surgeons for Aussies.

Dr. Gabel comes to mind (I traveled from Texas to Oregon for him, not as far as Sydney to Portland, but still far).

He accomodates American travelers so he would definitely accomodate an international patient.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016