21 Y/O College Student Whos Losing Hair.. Any Help Is Greatly Appreciated

Giving an update on solving my situation.

Got me some Toppik (huge life saver). I also got put on Finasteride 5 mg. However, I wanted to post this because I am not 100% sure if I am doing this currently.

When I went to the doctor to get prescribed and put on Finasteride, my doctor told me the 1 mg tablets are not covered by health insurance and are several dollars per pill. As a result, he put me on the 5 mg Finasteride and told me to cut it in half. This way I don’t break the bank, which I appreciate.

However:

I just got my prescription and saw it was a Generic to Proscar, not Propecia.

Is this something I need to look into? I did a quick google search and saw that this can be used to combat hair loss as well. However, I wanted to consult here and make sure I’m doing everything correctly. The picture I posted is what had me concerned I’m not doing this 100% correctly and am on the wrong generic of Finasteride...

Any info or insight is very much appreciated again. Thank you all for the help thus far and confusing going forward. It means the world.

Same drug, just different names. Proscar is the name given to 5mg tablets, it's all finasteride though. Personally I use brand propecia (finasteride) 1mg tablets and cut it into quarters. Conventionally most stick to 1mg tablets or cut the proscar into quarters.

Doseage/response curve such that the response isn't significantly different between a 0.2mg and a 5mg dose. About a 10% extra reduction in DHT between them. Plausible that the lower dose may have an impact on preventing potential side effects though as the exact impact of the drug on various separate pathways to just DHT and 5a-reductase isn't particularly well researched or understood which is why I opt for 0.25mg. Still haven't visibly lost hair in over 18 months on it.

Same drug, just different names. Proscar is the name given to 5mg tablets, it's all finasteride though. Personally I use brand propecia (finasteride) 1mg tablets and cut it into quarters. Conventionally most stick to 1mg tablets or cut the proscar into quarters.

Doseage/response curve such that the response isn't significantly different between a 0.2mg and a 5mg dose. About a 10% extra reduction in DHT between them. Plausible that the lower dose may have an impact on preventing potential side effects though as the exact impact of the drug on various separate pathways to just DHT and 5a-reductase isn't particularly well researched or understood which is why I opt for 0.25mg. Still haven't visibly lost hair in over 18 months on it.

You’re the man, thank you a bunch for all your help dude. Your guidance has already helped me make strides in gaining a bunch of confidence back. My plan of attack is well underway to combat this hair loss and I owe a lot of that to you.

I plan on cutting them in quarters as well. We shall see how it works within the next six months... praying and hoping it works and slows it down or even completely stops/regrows and thickens my hair.

I will keep everybody updated.

Do you take 0.25mg daily?