Considering a hair transplant within next year.

Hello all, I'm obviously new to this forum but not to hairloss forums. I'm 25, noticed my hair loss when I was 22-23ish. I'm a diffuse thinner with what I think is a pretty thick donor area. I've been on finasteride for 18 months, minoxidil for 14 months, dutasteride .5mg EOD for 14 months, 2% Nizoral shampoo, and I just added 5% RU in April. As you can see I'm pretty serious/dedicated to treating my hair loss. Overall I'd say I've responded great to medications; with complete cessation and modest regrowth.

Now I'm looking to get a transplant. Being my age I understand the risk assessment of it, but with how I've responded to meds I think I'd make for a good candidate. Shock loss shouldn't be an issue now that I've been on meds for almost 2 years, right? I'll be attaching photos, so correct me if I'm wrong, but by looking at them I believe I'm headed towards a NW4-NW5 pattern. What I'm wondering is will that effect a surgeon's inclination to work on me? I've seen amazing results from people who are much worse than I am with similar patterns, so that gives me hope, plus medications work for me.

I've consulted a couple surgeons, Dr. Civas out of Ankara, Turkey, who quoted me for 2500 grafts. And Dr. Erdogan, who denied me, the reason being my age and uncertainty of future loss. Just thought I'd post here asking for evaluations from fellow seasoned members and opinions from people who are, or were in the same boat as me. Appreciate it!

P.S.: Photos attached show a recent buzz no guard that I've grown for just about a month. The others are pictures of me with my hair fully grown out with one wet slicked back.

20180601_122738.thumb.jpg.2b133122f19818c44e0e0c88f895f56e.jpg

20180601_122741.thumb.jpg.028ff1e85609565cbe6a6f736f3d7123.jpg

20180601_124518.jpg.108ab7e400be77fb19371560579763e2.jpg

20180601_124411.jpg.bc748ece220f95475d62982b3e275c89.jpg

20180601_124623.thumb.jpg.4c0873dc107df4c293cf1e9e2fcd3527.jpg

Edited by dayman

Sure sounds like you have been doing exhaustive research which is a good thing. One thing though. There is no need to be taking finasteride "and" dutasteride at the same time. Have you consulted with a doctor concerning this? Doing this can have a detriment effect on your prostrate and you surely don't want that right? So I hope you are not taking these meds without the oversight and advice of a licensed physician who treats hair loss.

Based on your pics, you appear to be a good candidate if your goals and expectations are realistic. Your crown is breaking up into a much larger area but it sounds like you are responding well to your meds?

Wishing you well on your journey...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Sure sounds like you have been doing exhaustive research which is a good thing. One thing though. There is no need to be taking finasteride "and" dutasteride at the same time. Have you consulted with a doctor concerning this? Doing this can have a detriment effect on your prostrate and you surely don't want that right? So I hope you are not taking these meds without the oversight and advice of a licensed physician who treats hair loss.

Based on your pics, you appear to be a good candidate if your goals and expectations are realistic. Your crown is breaking up into a much larger area but it sounds like you are responding well to your meds?

Wishing you well on your journey...;)

Yes, I'm under physician supervision, also pharmacological biochemistry interest me:)

Here's some perspective on how far I've come with this photo. I'm confident I'll be able to maintain my existing hair with meds for the long term.

gross.JPG.de86f6db70395c70291838f70766da8a.JPG

Shock loss shouldn't be an issue now that I've been on meds for almost 2 years, right? I'll be attaching photos, so correct me if I'm wrong, but by looking at them I believe I'm headed towards a NW4-NW5 pattern. What I'm wondering is will that effect a surgeon's inclination to work on me? I've seen amazing results from people who are much worse than I am with similar patterns, so that gives me hope, plus medications work for me.

You look like you've done your research but:

1. Therr are tons for NW6s walking around around as t had more hair that you did at 23 before you started your treatment. You are too young to say you were headed to a NW4to5. Your final pattern was yet to me identified.

2. Shock loss can still be an issue. Medication helps strengthen your hair and can reduce it, but to shock can definitely still be an issue.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I agree...IMHO, shock loss is far more related in how the individual responds to the trauma level in the scalp related to the surgery.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Biggest indicator about where you could be headed will always be genetic history from both sides of your family. So look at your baldest relative and know that is likely your worst case scenario, but if no one in your family has extensive baldness then the odds are in your favor that your own pattern will be mitigated as well.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Well said Speegs...;)

Gillenator