Recently switched from Fin to Dutasteride

skinnyshaft

Hey guys

About 6 weeks ago I finally made the switch from finasteride to dutasteride. I'd been on fin for about 14 years or so but was noticing increased shedding last year (some of this I believe was tied into stress and my mum being ill).

Overall my hair hasn't been too bad and I've had some successful HTs with both Dr Feller and Dr Alexander. However, I want to retain as much as my native hair as I can.

After a lot of research, I decided to give Dut a go. THus far, after the 6 week mark, I've noticed some quite aggressive shedding. I understand this is quite normal and a sign of the drug working? I'd say the shedding is a little worse than last year. I can see why some people might freak out and give up the drug instantly.

I'll keep monitoring it though and hopefully I'll have something positive to report in a few months.

Also, I've not experienced any sides as yet - touch wood.

S

• 1 month later...

3 months update:

I've been on the DUT for nearly 3 months now and I'm still shedding an awful lot of hair in the shower.

Obviously, I'll see the drug out for the full 6 months prescription but thus far, I've not had a positive response. I would've hoped that the hairless might've noticeably slowed by now.

Will keep you posted with progress!

Read your initital post again.

You experienced stronger sheeding after 14 years on FIN, then switched to DUT.

Hair cycles are really slow.

Hairs which are shed are destined to fall out long time before.

It is not unrealistic that it takes three month before nything happens.

• 3 months later...

Hi guys

I'm just approaching my 6 month mark since switching to Avodart so thought I'd provide an update. (Apologies: I have literally made the same post in another thread on Dutasteride efficacy, but thought I should update here too).

At present, I am currently shedding TONS, possibly even more than I was previously. Not that I count hairs, but it looks like I'm shedding at least 200 hairs per shower. It looks quite terrifying and very difficult not to freak out. And I still continue to lose hairs when I dry and style my hair.

Not really sure what's happening, and also not really sure if the size of a shed is a true indication of MPB (like if you're replacing those hairs, it doesn't matter - I read conflicting comments on it). Or if I should be looking at other reasons why I might be shedding so much? I've always shed a lot - my hair is mega fine, so others have noted that I have seem to have more of it than other people in order to compensate.

However, I've definitely noticed an accelerated shedding over the last year, and that appears to have accelerated again in the last fortnight. It's certainly never dissipated since switched from Propecia to Avodart.

In terms of what's happening on my head, I think I've thinned a little, especially at the crown, but not a huge amount, it's always hard to tell with my hair.

Anyway, I've just renewed my Avodart prescription. As everyone has recommended, 6 months is definitely too short a period to truly gauge Dut's effectiveness, so need to stick it out for another 6 - 12 months at least.

Am sure you'd all love to see this, but this was the shed from my shower this morning!

Thanks for reading, and will look to update again soon.

IMG_20180928_115308.jpg

Edited by skinnyshaft