What are the negatives/positives of transplanting into the same area multiple times?

In regards to FUE, what are the negatives of transplanting into the same area multiple times? For example, if I have 1000 grafts placed in my crown in my first procedure and 2000 grafts in the crown in the second procedure is this better or worse than a single procedure with 3000 grafts placed in the crown? What are all the negatives (or positives) for each of these?

I've read that the scarring of the donor scalp from FUE makes subsequent FUE sessions more difficult - does this mean the likelihood of having a second procedure in the same area as the first is risky for the growth of the grafts placed in the second procedure?

I don't understand fully the meaning of this. Would appreciate replies from those who have knowledge about this.

• Administrators

Each time a site is made a tiny scar develops, if you're creating thousands of sites in your crown, that is a lot of scar tissue, whether its big or small, scar tissue has compromised blood flow, which means that growth is not the same as it would be on a virgin scalp. Now that's not to say several surgeries in one area can not be done, but you have to understand that the more procedures the more scarring, the more your scalp is compromised.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I would say that going for the higher figure, or the maximum, is better to do with the first procedure and it makes more sense to do it that way. It's definitely possible to get a good result from a second surgery, though. A second surgery can add density to an already impressive first procedure.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

We also have to know several things upfront...the size of the surface area being restored and the proposed level of grafted density. That will result in knowing how many grafts will be involved in the procedure.

In addition, the yield is very important and sometimes if the recipient area is grafted too densely, there is a higher level of trauma from the incisions and the corresponding yield can decrease.

If the area is completely barren of any hair, then it's usually a good idea to do several procedures to get the density to the level of visual restoration.

Sometimes we have a predetermined idea to achieve an acutely high level of density that really is not necessary.

A good rule of thumb is to have your doctor determine what your virgin density level is, and then shoot for 50% of that level because in most cases you will achieve a restored visual appearance at 50%.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY