Scheduled with Wong on May 20th.

Hey Guys! I have been lurking around the web-site for a while, but this is my first actual post. I have created a webblog and hope to keep it up to date as I go thru the process. It was such a huge help for me!

I'm scheduled w/ Wong on May 20th, 2009. (6:15 a.m.) They project in the neighborhood of 4,000--4,500 graphs. I hope to work on the scalp exercises and steal a few more.

Please take a minute and look at my blog and take a guess as to what I can expect. Keep in mind that I have had my head shaved for a while now and as my hair grows I will post some more pictures.

Any and all input is welcomed......

Thanks!

Hey Guys! I have been lurking around the web-site for a while, but this is my first actual post. I have created a webblog and hope to keep it up to date as I go thru the process. It was such a huge help for me!

I'm scheduled w/ Wong on May 20th, 2009. (6:15 a.m.) They project in the neighborhood of 4,000--4,500 graphs. I hope to work on the scalp exercises and steal a few more.

Please take a minute and look at my blog and take a guess as to what I can expect. Keep in mind that I have had my head shaved for a while now and as my hair grows I will post some more pictures.

Any and all input is welcomed......

Thanks!

Guest wanthairs

dont forget to get on finasteride so that your hair loss does not progress. Do as much of the scalp excercises as you can....

you chose one of the best out there !!!!!

Business Teacher,

Good Luck in your journey! It appears you would need between 6-8K grafts to completley restore your hair to an illusion of density. Definatly get on the meds so you dont progress further to a NW7. Just remember that finesteride isnt effective for ever and you may recede to a NW7 so make sure you and Dr. Wong plan for the future.

Congrats on going to a great surgeon. From your pics it looks like a shaved head suits you. Again we cannot see your whole face so it is hard to tell.

Like others said, you will need more ultimately so hopefully you have planned this journey accordingly. 4-4.5 will be a great start for you.

what is your game plan? Front two-thirds filled and re-build the hairline for the first procedure? Then add density and work back to the crown?

Let us know and welcome!!

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Welcome and a congrats on taking charge of your hair loss! I'm sure Dr. Wong will take great care of you! I look foward to following your progress.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Thanks everyone!

Eman,

Not 100% sure about my/our plan of attack right now. I really would like to just have one procedure, but not sure how I will feel once the first one is done.... I don' really want to total forget about he crown in this tranplant. I don't like the look of totally loading the front 2/3 and none in the back, but at the same time I'm not sure I will recieve the coverage I'm looking for if we spread it out.

Input on this from anyone?

Thanks again!

I would focus on the front 2/3 of the the scalp this time around. Reason being is that your hairline frames your face and is what most people will be seeing. Spreading 4-4.5k around your entire scalp probably wont provide the best density. Also, you said you haven't been doing anything to combat the hairloss other than shaving your head. After your procedure I would recommend taking finasteride and rogaine. These drugs are most effective in the crown area (they don't help much, if any, with your hairline). If you're not satisfied with the growth from them you can always go back for HT2 which will probably be needed in either case to get full coverage. Some other reasons for focusing on the front 2/3 of your scalp are that concealers (in my opinion) are much more effective in the crown area and less likely to be noticed. By the way you chose a great doctor. I just had my first hair transplant with Dr. Hasson on April 1st and I will definately be going back there once I need my next one (unless some miracle cure comes out). If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

lovestospoon,

That does make a lot of sense. I actually used a concealer the last time I grew my hair with some success. That was about 2 years ago....

Question:

How can I tell if I have good laxity? I have been pretty aggresive with my scalp exercises, but have no idea what is considered tight, good, great.....

Thanks again! This site is so valuable to newbie like me.

I was wondering the same thing as you before I met with the doc. Basically all he did was press on the back of my head and move his fingers up and down. He did that on the sides as well and then told me I had great laxity. I guess press and see how far you can move your fingers up or down from the original spot on your sides and back. I believe if I recall correctly I was able to move it a little over an inch.

Laxity is an issue, as is the density of your donor. That will dictate how much Dr. Wong can safely take from your donor.

If I were in your shoes, I would follow what lovetospoon stated. If you focus on spreading 4500 grafts over your entire dome, it will affect the density you receive and it will look thin. Dr. Wong can do wonders with that many grafts all over your head, but he will be able to do a much better job focusing on the front two-thirds where your face will be truly framed and you will have good density. And after a year, go back in and have additional density added, temple work and some "crop dusting" of the crown. That is what I would do, but I know everyone is different. Like you, I only wanted one procedure...but you and I were/are at different starting points as I still have my crown. Your norwood level is higher and will need two procedures unfortunately.

Talk to Dr. Wong and Joe to see what they say. They are full of knowledge and ideas and can help lead you in the right direction for your plan!

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

I have started growing my hair out as well, which I hope will show a little more than what it looks like I have from these picture. I acutally grew it out about 2 1/2 years ago and had some hair on top. (Just some).

The more I think about things I believe coverage in the front 2/3 of my head would be better and then a trip back if I feel it's needed.

I'm going to get my plane tickets sometime this week, so thing actually are moving along. Long way from home for the surgery, but I feel that I am in great hands and don't want to risk anything over something like travel.

I also put some more thought into the distribution of my graphs and wanted some more input......

A majority in the front 2/3, but with some (I don't know what some is) in the crown so that it's not totally w/o hair. This incase I don't want/decide to go back for antother session.

Thoughts?

Thanks!