Rogaine hair fall question after discontinuation

I got an 2500 graft FUT transplant on my hairline.

I have some shock loss above and below the FUT scar.

The clinic recommends to use 5% rogaine on both donor scar area and the recipient area for 1 year.

Is it necessary to use rogaine for donor and recipient area? What's the point of getting a transplant if you had to use medication afterwards too. Also if I discontinue rogaine will my hair at the donor area fall out? Also will the transplanted hair fall out?

I started using it day before yesterday and today I after applying it I feel a bit lightheaded. I don't really like this feeling and can't see myself feeling like this for a year. I'm just hoping to use it for 4 month on the donor area till the shock loss hair grow back and in the receipient area for 6-7 months till I see a decent result. IS this a good plan?

• Administrators

Minoxidil is not necessary for transplanted hair, however it will keep the non-transplanted hair longer if you use it, the hair at the donor site won’t be affected by minoxidil, my suspicion is that the clinic wants you to use it to improve any shock loss you may experience at the donor site.

It’s wise to try and slow down your hair loss, if you can’t tolerate minoxidil have you tried finasteride? It’s more effective, it’s not without side effects however a small percentage of men get side effects so worth trying.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Minoxidil is not necessary for transplanted hair, however it will keep the non-transplanted hair longer if you use it, the hair at the donor site won’t be affected by minoxidil, my suspicion is that the clinic wants you to use it to improve any shock loss you may experience at the donor site.

It’s wise to try and slow down your hair loss, if you can’t tolerate minoxidil have you tried finasteride? It’s more effective, it’s not without side effects however a small percentage of men get side effects so worth trying.

I have tried finestride. Got sides from that too. I mean minox isn't that bad. Just felt a little light headed. I think if I use a little less next time, it should be fine. Just don't want to use it forever. I was wondering if I need to use it on the donor hair after the shock loss hair come back?