FUT Questions (H&W)

I've recently come across the results of H&W FUT results and it caught my eye as a possibility for my first HT. I have pretty even diffused thinning from hairline to vertex.

I have a couple questions though for FUT. I like the idea of receiving way more grafts (4000+) in 1 session, compared to multiple FUE sessions (2500-3000) months/years apart to complete the transformation.

1. FUT scars seem so thin and undetectable from Hasson and Wong. Can anyone confirm this?

2. How do donor sites look with wet hair with an FUT scar?

3. What's the shortest you could go with a haircut with an FUT scar? #2 guard? #3 guard? Thinking about possibly using a fade haircut.

4. Do scars stretch/get wider over time?

5. What are the negatives of less laxity after FUT?

6. Why is FUT so much cheaper than FUE? Don't the techs/doctors need to extract the grafts from the strip the same why they would for FUE on the donor site?

I think I could answer most of these questions, but I would like the advice/knowledge of the community here.

Thanks

5b32f88fdf37c_IMG_3806_1(1).thumb.JPG.25bdc6098d13807c668a0715dad18394.JPG

IMG_3802_2.thumb.JPG.b981f5833fc1ef71c0baa7a3709abe38.JPG

1. FUT scars seem so thin and undetectable from Hasson and Wong. Can anyone confirm this?

Hasson and Wong on an average do produce thin scars. I have seen a lot of patients/friends that have had surgery and the scar on average is 1-2mm

This depends on how short you cut your hair. I have never had an issue or had anyone say anything to me when my hair is wet. Your hair in the donor should cover your scar without any issues.

3. What's the shortest you could go with a haircut with an FUT scar? #2 guard? #3 guard? Thinking about possibly using a fade haircut.

In a majority of patients 2-3 is realistic. Yes you can do a fade haircut as long as the hair is not too short over the scar.

If scars stretch it will usually take place in the first 6 months and in some cases up to a year. Usually after 6 months the scar will stay the same (may still be a bit of red but will fade with time)

Depending on the laxity before you will feel a bit tight right after but soon after it will not be an issue. If there is a negative I am unsure

6. Why is FUT so much cheaper than FUE? Don't the techs/doctors need to extract the grafts from the strip the same why they would for FUE on the donor site?

FUE takes a lot of work and time. At Hasson and Wong they prefer to use only one tech doing the extractions. To extract 2000 can take up to 8 hours. The grafts that are removed are then cleaned under a microscope before it is inserted. Sometimes for 2000 grafts the patient will be at the clinic for 12 hours.

I am answering the questions to the best of my experience after helping the clinic for 15 years.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Hasson and Wong on an average do produce thin scars. I have seen a lot of patients/friends that have had surgery and the scar on average is 1-2mm

This depends on how short you cut your hair. I have never had an issue or had anyone say anything to me when my hair is wet. Your hair in the donor should cover your scar without any issues.

In a majority of patients 2-3 is realistic. Yes you can do a fade haircut as long as the hair is not too short over the scar.

If scars stretch it will usually take place in the first 6 months and in some cases up to a year. Usually after 6 months the scar will stay the same (may still be a bit of red but will fade with time)

Depending on the laxity before you will feel a bit tight right after but soon after it will not be an issue. If there is a negative I am unsure

FUE takes a lot of work and time. At Hasson and Wong they prefer to use only one tech doing the extractions. To extract 2000 can take up to 8 hours. The grafts that are removed are then cleaned under a microscope before it is inserted. Sometimes for 2000 grafts the patient will be at the clinic for 12 hours.

I am answering the questions to the best of my experience after helping the clinic for 15 years.

thanks for a quick response!

Excellent advice and information from Lorenzo.

I think the only way you would end up with a wide scar from Hasson is if you were to start heavy weight training too early postop.

Keep that in mind and avoid that and you're god to go.

My donor was shaved last year for my small FUE procedure with Konior, and my previous Hasson scars are still pencil thin 7-8 years later.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

thanks hsrp10. good to know

could bending your neck in a downward motion put stress on the skin/scar making it wider? (at least in the first couple months)

my main thought is that if you can get more coverage with less procedures with FUT, it really just depends on your hair style to cover the scar.

I was set on FUE before because I wouldn’t even give FUT a chance with the scar, but the results i’ve seen now with H&W make it seem like not even anything to worry about...

i have a hard time choosing between options.. TV1 or TV2..? laptop1 or laptop2..?

Definitely FUT allows for greater coverage and higher total number of possible grafts over your lifetime (donor supply management is important for future planning), so while I've had smaller FUE procedures after the initial FUT procedures I still recommend those with advanced hairloss to consider FUT as a better option.

And this is also why I recommend potential patients to go with only an elite surgeon, because elite surgeons such as Hasson and Konior are able to produce pencil thin scars.

Yes bending your neck downward could so this is something you need to consider, might be a detailed question you could ask to a hair restoration surgeon in your area and show him the actual movement - you wouldn't have to actually go with this surgeon but just rather have only the consultation.

Edited by hsrp10

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

could bending your neck in a downward motion put stress on the skin/scar making it wider?

I doubt it. Something like heavy weight lifting (squats) may stretch. There is many reasons that a scar may stretch. What is most important is that you choose a clinic that has a good reputation with scars. A doctors needs to know the limitations, and what a person skin can take for tension.This takes many years of experience. Sometimes due to a persons healing the scar maybe a bit bigger but in most cases the doctors has an idea before and make the proper adjustment to avoid this.

A lot of people are concerned about the scar before the procedure and this is expected and normal. Honestly after the results come in I have yet to hear from someone about the scar. Most patients are overjoyed.

Let me tell you a story, I help italian patients and one patient came from Rome and the day before his surgery he had doubts about the scar and cancelled the surgery. One hour later he got a hold of me and said he was scared but he was already here and decided to go ahead. He had a big area and knew it would take about 8000 grafts to fill in the area and take two sessions. Now he has booked his second surgery for his crown and is bringing his friend. He is so happy and do not even mention the scar once by email.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

BTW even though I represent Hasson and Wong but first goal is to educate posters. What is important to me is that you feel comfortable with whatever decision you make and choose a good clinic.

BTW even though I represent Hasson and Wong but first goal is to educate posters. What is important to me is that you feel comfortable with whatever decision you make and choose a good clinic.

I appreciate that. I noticed H&W will be in NY in march. I might make the time to schedule a consultation since I'm relatively close (Pennsylvania).

I can't believe Konior is a 14 month wait lol. his work says it all, but idk if I can wait that long

I appreciate that. I noticed H&W will be in NY in march. I might make the time to schedule a consultation since I'm relatively close (Pennsylvania).

It would not hurt. The more knowledge you have the better decision you make. Keep me posted! Good luck to the Eagles or sorry for the Steelers.

• 2 weeks later...

couple more questions for FUT - the longer your hair in the donor region the day of the surgery, the less noticeable the scar/staples will be in the few weeks after the surgery? or do they need to shave the whole donor region down to a certain length? or can they just shave the strip that’s needed? longer hair would cover the scar/staples nicely then

couple more questions for FUT - the longer your hair in the donor region the day of the surgery, the less noticeable the scar/staples will be in the few weeks after the surgery?

or do they need to shave the whole donor region down to a certain length? or can they just shave the strip that’s needed? longer hair would cover the scar/staples nicely then

All that is shaving during the day of surgery is the recipient area and where the hair is taken in the donor. When the doctor takes the donor from the back he will only shave the area needed. Once the area is closed the existing hair covers the staples. The remaining donor hair will not be shaved but keep it at least 2-3 cm when you come to the clinic. There is no length of hair that is too long in the back before you come.

I hope this answers your question. Good luck at the Super Bowl, hopefully your quarterback has better time management than McNabb did in 2005 and beat the Patriots this time! :D

couple more questions for FUT - the longer your hair in the donor region the day of the surgery, the less noticeable the scar/staples will be in the few weeks after the surgery?

or do they need to shave the whole donor region down to a certain length? or can they just shave the strip that’s needed? longer hair would cover the scar/staples nicely then

All that is shaving during the day of surgery is the recipient area and where the hair is taken in the donor. When the doctor takes the donor from the back he will only shave the area needed. Once the area is closed the existing hair covers the staples. The remaining donor hair will not be shaved but keep it at least 2-3 cm when you come to the clinic. There is no length of hair that is too long in the back before you come.

I hope this answers your question. Good luck at the Super Bowl, hopefully your quarterback has better time management than McNabb did in 2005 and beat the Patriots this time! :D

yes that did answer my question and lol thanks man. the stars are aligning so i’m feeling good about it. i think our defense will win it for us but foles definitely needs to step up!

I would encourage you to ask whatever Dr you decide you are going to choose if he can arrange it so you could see a patient who has a procedure done during your consultation. There is no replacement for seeing what it looks like first hand. That way, it may help you make a decision that is best for you. Good luck with everything.