Tricky shock loss question!

Hi all,

Here is a question that my transplant surgeon also does not seem to know.

I have had FUE done into crown. After 1 month noticed shock loss of native hair around the periphery of the grafted region.

The native hair were not fully miniaturized, but they were thinner than my other terminal hair.

Now 12 weeks post op the native hair is slowly recovering, but it appears thinner than they were before.

The question is, does native hair lost to shock loss come in thinner than before or does it come back in the same thickness as before?

Any pictures??

They should come back as they were, but since they were "ill" before your HT, they highly likely will fall out anyway in future.

Do you take fin? From what I have read, fin is good option to prevent(as much it is possible) shock loss of native hair. As much as I hate this idea of taking Fin, it is good to start half a year before HT and keep taking it until first half a year after HT, when most shock loss is gone and native hair are back(or saved from shock). With is probably what i will do.

This is my biggest worries. I am about to have HT In probably 2020. Long time of waiting for consultation, and year after there is procedure with gives 2020. But i am happy for choosing this clinic anyway. Maybe until then we will have Replicel out, with I strongly believe is going to be fin killer.

Hi,

I am on fin since 10 years, along with dutas since one year plus topical fin + minox since 10 years as well. So im basically covered i guess :P

I know about shock loss and that it usually recovers unless quite minaturized hairs were affected.

What i want to know is, do the shocked hair come back in thinner than before, or the same thickness?

I have had semi miniaturized hair in the area, they were a little thinner than my normal hair but they did have length and added to the density. Now it seems they are a little thinner, or maybe i am just imagining things. So would like to know if this could happen.

I don’t think anyone can tell. All that can be said, is that shock loss, trauma, does not do any good in hair. Same as stress in general, smoking and alcohol.

Statistic suggests that your hair should come back as they were before.

Hi all,

Here is a question that my transplant surgeon also does not seem to know.

I have had FUE done into crown. After 1 month noticed shock loss of native hair around the periphery of the grafted region.

The native hair were not fully miniaturized, but they were thinner than my other terminal hair.

Now 12 weeks post op the native hair is slowly recovering, but it appears thinner than they were before.

The question is, does native hair lost to shock loss come in thinner than before or does it come back in the same thickness as before?

Mr. Kuboid,

You ask a very good question, obviously because you are experiencing the issue, but also for others to learn. Your situation is only at the start of it's manifestation so you have to give the native hair more time to not just grow, but to mature. Shocking the hair is similar to any other hair loss in that the hairs are "shocked" into the telegenic state. As they come in, just like any hair, they come in finer but with more time (a few more months) the hair shaft diameter will increase, most likely back to where it was before your procedure. This is not a guarantee but if you are seeing their return at only three months then the likelihood of a return to your previous state is high.

Just to add a few words, native hair that is DHT receptive will typically regrow weaker with each new complete growth cycle. So as Dr. Bhatti stated, it is quite typical for the re-emerging native hair to look thinner in hair shaft diameter or simply stated as thinner hair caliber.

One of the things that I have observed with the use of minoxidil is a more coarse hair shaft or improved hair caliber so continued use would be a good idea IMHO.

Obviously your continued use of low dose finasteride should help with your crown thinning.

Congrats on your recent procedure...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY