28 years old suffering of hair loss

Hi everyone,

I'm a M, suffering of hair loss since my 18 years old, I tried a several medication but as you know.. No results.

I have 28 years old now and to be honest, I can't handle it anymore, I'm trying to hide it everyday but, it's exhausting me and I'm super frustrated due of this issue, I like my hair and I'm differently not able to accept my situation.

I'm living in Montreal, Canada, and I would like to know if something can be done. Please suggest anything, I'm considering surgery but I don't want to deal with the wrong person, I want to fix the situation and start a new life and get back all what I lost.

Any suggestion, review or comment will be more than welcome.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate.

Cordially :)

This forum is a great resource if you take the time to read the many threads and topics. Many users here have spent years researching before making a decision on surgery.

Posting photos will be very helpful to get feedback from the community. Otherwise, it will be extremely difficult for anyone to give useful advice.

First thing is, have you tried to buzz your hair all around? I think it would look tons better if it was just short and neater looking. You may actually like that look and forget about wanting a transplant.

Second, if you do want to go the route of transplants, it does look like you have very good donor hair. You're probably looking at a FUT (strip) procedure of around 6000-7000 grafts to get a decent result. I would look at like somebody like H&W up in Canada. They seem to do a great job with cases like yours.

That's advanced hair loss at such a young age, have you ever tried out preventative treatments such as finasteride?

Realistically you'll need a rather conservative hairline in order to have the grafts available to tackle the large swath of coverage you'll require, that is unless you're content to reframe your face with a hairline exclusively and leave the crown bald.

I recommend you try out finasteride, it could preserve the crown from further loss and perhaps revive it a little.

I'd also realistically consider buzzing your head down and seeing if you like the look.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer me!

I tried short hair but to be honest I don't like it..

Is the FUE not recommended for my situation? I mean, I want to avoid the scar

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer me!

I tried short hair but to be honest I don't like it.

Is the FUE not recommended for my situation? I mean, I want to avoid the scar

To be blunt, you're a horrible candidate for FUE because you need to maximize your donor to the fullest, which is what FUT (strip) will do.

Also, FUE isn't scarless, don't buy into that marketing disinformation, all surgery will result in scar tissue of some fashion.

FUE is best for small sessions, touch up sessions or if a candidate's donor is no longer able to accommodate a strip procedure due to lack of elasticity.

It isn't good for the heavy lifting you'll require to re-establish your hairline from scratch and give you a ton of coverage over your scalp.

That being said, go to a doctor that performs both FUT and FUE, and has a proven track record with both, this will ensure you don't go to a surgeon with a proverbial hammer that thinks every case is a nail.

Hair restoration is very custom to the patient's individual needs.

If you're fearful of a strip scar, realize if you go to a competent surgeon then it will not be visible unless you buzz your hair extremely short, which would defeat the purpose of a hair transplant in the first place.

Especially since it appears you like to wear your hair with some length, it's truly a non-issue under most circumstances.

Feel free to reach out to me with any questions, I'm not much older than you and understand much of what you're going through.

In the meantime please get on finasteride.

To comment on above I have had both FUT & FUE and I can say I wish I never had FUT as results are poor and leave a scar and the skin is stretched and is a horrible feeling after wards. Stick to FUE is my advice and avoid FUT

1600 grafts FUT Mr May (UK) Sept 1996

https://www.wimpoleclinic.com'>https://www.wimpoleclinic.com

1600 grafts FUT Mr May (UK) February 1998

https://www.wimpoleclinic.com

2475 grafts FUT Dr Mohammed Humayun Mohmand (Pakistan)

27th January 2009

http://www.hti.com.pk

3550 Total Grafts (3000 rear donor area & 400 from beard and 150 breast area) FUE & PRP Treatment with Dr Emrah Cinik (ISHRS), Istanbul, Turkey. 10th October 2017

http://www.emrahcinik.com/

My Blog & Hair loss website story:

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1123

If you want to maximize your donor no ethical doctor will want to start with FUE on a patient as young and advanced in their hair loss as you unless absolutely necessary and if you have a physiology that requires such.

Fut is STILL the gold standard for major cases, and it is in your best interests to go to a doctor who advocates what's right for the patient as a practioner of both Fut and Fue, and not one married to selling you on a singular procedure which may not be in your best inerests.

Thank you so much guys for the answers! I really appreciate all your suggestions!

@Speegs: Thank you, I really appreciate! For finasteride, I saw a lot of people claiming that it's not good, that's why I didn't take it. Also, regarding the FUT and FUE, to be honest, here in Montreal, I don't see any suggestion regarding any doctor. I saw on the forum, a lot of people talking about Dr. Rehal but he's in Toronto and I prefer to have a Dr here in Montreal, in my city, you know it will make things easier, if I need a doctor's consultation

@AMR1: To be honest with you, I'm really afraid of the scar, because usually they take a lot (especially in my case) and I don't want to lose the elasticity of my skin you know, maybe now I will not feel it because I'm still young, but in the long run, it scares me a bit

Thank you again guys, it's the first time that I talk about it and you made me feel comfortable about it, I usually avoid it the subject even with my family..

Thank you so much guys for the answers! I really appreciate all your suggestions!

@Speegs: Thank you, I really appreciate! For finasteride, I saw a lot of people claiming that it's not good, that's why I didn't take it. Also, regarding the FUT and FUE, to be honest, here in Montreal, I don't see any suggestion regarding any doctor. I saw on the forum, a lot of people talking about Dr. Rehal but he's in Toronto and I prefer to have a Dr here in Montreal, in my city, you know it will make things easier, if I need a doctor's consultation

@AMR1: To be honest with you, I'm really afraid of the scar, because usually they take a lot (especially in my case) and I don't want to lose the elasticity of my skin you know, maybe now I will not feel it because I'm still young, but in the long run, it scares me a bit

Thank you again guys, it's the first time that I talk about it and you made me feel comfortable about it, I usually avoid it the subject even with my family..

I am afraid you've received some very ill-informed advice, almost 90 percent of men see a benefit from finasteride, and an outlier of men experience negative side effects, all of which are reversible by discontinuing the medication if they arise.

I recommend you speak to a dermatologist soon, they can help educate you further.

In regard to doctors, geography isn't an obstacle, there are many great doctors in the USA and Canada at your disposal, and they can be consulted either in person or via skype.

I would not let distance limit you, I traveled all the way from Austin, Texas to Portland, Oregon for my procedures, and the travel is worth it for the right surgeon.