Does this consultation match your expectations?

So very recently I attended a consultation with the surgeon himself. I might add that this is after I sent images of myself and his representative said I wasn't a good candidate.

I asked whether it was worth me attending to see the doctor himself and they said sure pop along as the final decision would be with the doctor.

So I attended the consultation which lasted about 10 min. No tools or devices were used and I'm assuming the doctor made his decision from a visual perspective. He didn't touch my head.

He said he was happy to do surgery on me. This is a surgeon that is recommended on this site.

Does this fit into what you would expect for a HT consultation?

Edited by superdudeo

That all seems very strange to me and doesn't seem like a typical, thorough evaluation at all. You should be having conversations with the doctor about your own personal history with hair loss, your family history, your expectations, etc. And he should be examining your hair, looking at your donor supply, drawing possible hairlines on your head, talking about how many grafts you would need, whether he recommends FUE or Strip, how many hair transplants he predicts it all taking, and much, much more.

Just saying, "Yeah, let's do it" doesn't seem to cut it IMO.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

That all seems very strange to me and doesn't seem like a typical, thorough evaluation at all. You should be having conversations with the doctor about your own personal history with hair loss, your family history, your expectations, etc. And he should be examining your hair, looking at your donor supply, drawing possible hairlines on your head, talking about how many grafts you would need, whether he recommends FUE or Strip, how many hair transplants he predicts it all taking, and much, much more.

Just saying, "Yeah, let's do it" doesn't seem to cut it IMO.

Thanks for the input.

I am 37 so he said my loss should have stabilised, no family history was brought up.

I told him my expectations. He did draw a hairline for me after I enquired.

No talk of FUE vs FUT.

I am struggling to see how he could be recommended on here unless I am overreacting which I may be.

Not even a lazy comb thru with some scopes on to get a closer look, nothing? Ive had great consults and some mediocre consults but never one where a doc didn't even get in there to examine my hair. I'd hard pass on that doc.

Thanks for the input.

I am 37 so he said my loss should have stabilised, no family history was brought up.

I told him my expectations. He did draw a hairline for me after I enquired.

No talk of FUE vs FUT.

I am struggling to see how he could be recommended on here unless I am overreacting which I may be.

It doesn't seem to me like you're overreacting at all... Especially considering you're the one that had to initiate seeing the surgeon in person to begin with. I don't know the ins and outs of this, but from what you're describing it doesn't seem like he gave you a very thorough consultation nor did he have the important conversations he should've had with you. All things considered, I don't blame you if your gut is telling you that it's not a good call.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Doesn't sound very thorough, I'd be disappointed making an in the flesh visit that wasn't more in-depth.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016