Finasteride Question

Guys, I have been on finasteride for years paying about $220 for a 3 month supply from my pharmacy. Recently I noticed Costco sells 100 tablets for $19.

I have a few questions:

Is costcos fun as good as the pharmacies?

Is anyone on Costco’s fin with good results?

Also my prescription is through a dermatologist and someone mentioned if I use my primary care physician it might be covered by insurance. Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, my finasteride is covered by my health insurance as my PCP is the one who prescribes Proscar for me. I pay $10 co-pay for 90 tablets and cut the pill.

As far as the Costco brand...read the label and see who manufactures it for them. The bottle labeling should disclose who actually makes it for them.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

It's probably fine, but not all generics are created equal.

I use Teva, which is a trustworthy Israeli generic offered by Walgreens.

Fyi, if you pay the 20 dollar a year membership prescription at Walgreens, generic drugs are ten dollars or less per refill. I pay six bucks a month.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

I get a 3 month supply of fin at Costco for about $22.00 total. Aurobindo is the manufacturer. I have been on generic for about 3 years. I was on the original Propecia for several years before I switched to generic. I have not noticed any difference and I have had a couple different doctors tell me there is no difference.

So long as the generics are manufactured by a reputable western company, they're trustworthy.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

• Valued Contributor

I was on Propecia from April of 2012 until May of 2015 when I switched over to Costco's generic Aurobindo fin. I experienced zero shed or sides on the switch. The only difference was that I went from spending over $100 a month on Propecia to spending $22 for a three month supply on generic.