Using kerotin fibres (Toppik, etc.) with HT?

Hey guys,

I've never heard too much about the strategy of using keratin fibers (brands such as Toppik, Nanogen, etc.) to lessen the amount of grafts needed to achieve the appearance of a relatively full head of hair.

I would think this could be a viable strategy for men at higher Norwood levels who either don't have enough donor supply to cover everywhere they want to cover, or who want to conserve donor hair just in case. I would imagine that you could go for roughly 50 or 60% coverage via transplant grafts and use hair fibres to fill in. Anyone who has used these products knows that you don't need all that much natural density for the hair fibres to work.

The football/soccer player Wayne Rooney seems to do this and it looks quite good, IMO.

Anyway, not an ideal scenario of course, but perhaps a good way to stretch your follicular resources? Does anybody here do this?

• Administrators

There are two train of thoughts when it comes to concealers, you have the guys who want HT's to escape ever needing to use concealers, and you have the guys who don't care and use them because they know there hair will look even better.

I use to fall in the first category, I was against toppik, primarily because I was ignorant, I never used it, I was afraid it would run and I'd be "found out" I was insecure about people finding out, now I've been using toppik since November of last year, it has completely changed my out look, it's brought my hair from a 7 to a 10, people ask me what I do and I'm honest, I say I use a fiber for the hair to look thicker, their reaction is wow the stuff works, I actually had a few guys ask me to write it down cause they want to buy it.

We need to move past this stigma that makes us embarrassed about HT's and concealers and wearing hair systems, if people were just honest we could improve as a society, I'm now totally honest about my HT's and wearing concealer and people haven't been judgmental they've actually found it interesting and are amazed.

Anyway I went on a rant there but here's a video of how my hair looks before any products I was Norwood 6 before surgery, I guess for a Norwood 6 my hair isn't bad, but once I put toppik and hair products it changes completely to a look of a guy who's never gone bald. I have guys who are non balding asking me for hair tips it's amazing.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.