Does the donor ever regain it's original laxity after FUT?

I had scar tissue removed from my right shoulder a few years ago in 2 procedures. The first time was ok & mildly right for weeks. The second time though was VERY tight for many months because it was the same area. And on a smaller area like our head, I can imagine it takes longer for that skin to stretch out. But amazingly, it eventually does!

Mattj, are these exercises effective for post surgery as well below the scar line?

It's possible to increase the laxity with exercises. The type of exercises that doctors' recommend that their FUT patients do before surgery.

2000 FUT with Dr Bernardino Arocha - August 2017

Scalp elasticity does return to a degree between 3 to 6 months to a year after surgery. It doesn't return in four, otherwise you would almost have an unlimited supply of donor hair. But, it does return to a degree, making it easier to harvest more hair in a subsequent procedure. That's why I was only able to get 3600 drafts in a procedure but then in total I had 9600 draft. That was over for procedures because my scalp had to heal and taking too much at once could have caused a major problem.

Best wishes,

Bill

It does adjust to some degree. After my second strip procedure, my scalp was noticeably snug. In time, it loosened up and today it feels perfectly normal. Prior to my surgeries, my scalp was pretty loose so for me it's been a benefit.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Scalp tissue in general does expand because if its elasticity. But it does have limitations, and varies between patients.

I had a total of roughly 6900 grafts compiled in 4 separate FUHT procedures. After my fourth, I had to be close with staples because my scalp was more so on the tight side. There was roughly 4 years between my 3rd and 4th procedure.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Rashid36 - Yes, there's definitely some restriction, depending on your scalp elasticity. Some say they hardly felt any sensation after a couple of days, & others say they had discomfort for a couple of weeks. Mine was pretty tight, so I had the most discomfort the couple of days right after the surgery & a couple of days after the sutures were taken out (just 3 days ago). I'll be 2 weeks post op tomorrow & there's still some numbness on the top of my head & tightness around the suture line, but... it's getting better. I had to squat slowly the 1st week, slowly bend a little last week, & now I'm able to bend down a little quicker without feeling extra pressure. Everyone's different, you just have to listen to your body & not push it.

As for sports, maybe someone else can chime in because I'm not athletic. I just practice yoga & I'm avoiding downward dog & any other positions putting my head below my heart for another week or 2.

How does it feel when it is tight i mean do you feel pain or restiriction of movement etc

taking part in sport / fitness etc ?

2000 FUT with Dr Bernardino Arocha - August 2017

The size of the strip specimen excised depends on a number of factors considered. Your donor density as defined by the number of FUs per cm2, the amount or level of laxity before the strip is taken, and of course the number of grafts needed for the procedure.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY