Am I a good candidate for an FUE hair transplant?

Hello everyone,

I have been losing hair steadily for the last 13 years and finally decided to get a hair transplant by the end of 2017. I have been doing my reading about hair transplants since the beginning of this year, followed multiple stories on this social network, and got to know about the doctors that perform high quality work.

In the last month or so, I have consulted with multiple clinics, some recommended by this community and some not, in order to evaluate the response and communication, and get an estimate of how many grafts are needed. As you can see in my photos (taken directly under the light), sadly, it seems like I'm trending towards a diffused high Norwood. When contacting clinics, I'm mentioning that I'm interested in covering my temples, mid-scalp and vertex. I have also been using Minoxidil for 7 years. I'm not taking Finasteride, and I'm evaluating whether I want to deal with the risks of using it.

There were only two clinics that brought to my attention that I am suffering from retrograde alopecia which will reduce the width/extents of my donor area. One doctor said that 3000-3500 grafts is the max possible that can be harvested and another 1500 would need to be supplied from my beard or body. Another doctor that uses hairs instead of grafts, said that at most they could harvest 6000-8000 hairs (at an average of 2 hairs per grafts, it seems close to the other estimate) using FUE, and recommended that I go with an FUT/FUE combo. I appreciated the ethical responses of those clinics, and them trying to keep my expectations in check. I just wanted to see what others would think and make sure I'm not being steered in the wrong direction. Do you guys agree that I have a weak donor area and that 3500 grafts would be the most I can hope for?

Thanks!

Front.jpg.a2d58537eb752320c0cacc8e4f3c1fb3.jpg

Left.jpg.31c019e51ea023bc85af939a210b8cd1.jpg

Top1.jpg.68e9ca4dba637b48c42774bafa17eb59.jpg

Back.jpg.ab948bd619941be461f6984b96e4a3db.jpg

Back2.thumb.jpg.93e093de71b8ebb8cbc186e0249d79e7.jpg

Eyeballing it, I think you may be better served by FUT, you have noticeable thinning through out and will likely require more than one procedure to satisfy coverage and density.

As a general rule, when tackling progressive hair loss such as yours, the best way to maximize grafts for the long term is to proceed with FUT first and then move on to FUE after FUT is no longer an option or if future needs are much smaller.

Please consult with a couple of physicians for their opinion, feel free to ask us who our favorites are either here or in a PM and we can tell you our opinions and experiences with various doctors.

As for finasteride, I recommend doing so, it is a preventative measure that will help mitigate future loss and perhaps subsequent surgery.

It is a very slim minority of people that experience the dreaded side effects so often harped upon by a loud few.

You also have fair skin and dark hair, which creates a stark contrast and requires more grafts to create the appearance of density, something that could be challenging if your donor is genetically limited as some have suggested to you.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

There does appear to be some acute retro-alopecia from the neck impacting the occipital zone where most strips are harvested.

I opened the 5th photo into a larger frame.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Please consult with a couple of physicians for their opinion, feel free to ask us who our favorites are either here or in a PM and we can tell you our opinions and experiences with various doctors.

As for finasteride, I recommend doing so, it is a preventative measure that will help mitigate future loss and perhaps subsequent surgery.

I have consulted with multiple physicians. Recommended surgeons like Dr Koray Erdogan and Dr Resul Yaman both indicated that I would be a perfectly good candidate for FUE and that they can restore my hairline and increase density with 5000 grafts and 4000 respectively. Neither one of them raised any concern with the health of my donor area. That's why I'm concerned about just pulling the trigger and moving forward without doing further consultations. HLC Clinic in Ankara, Turkey said that I only have about 3500 grafts and that 1500 grafts would be needed from my body (not sure where from other than my beard). Dr. Karadeniz who is ABHRS certified said the same thing you did, that I'm better served by getting FUT but with FUE, I only have 3000 grafts (6000-8000 hairs) that can be harvested. So my dilemma is, should I just fully trust a surgeon when they tell me that they can harvest 4000 or 5000 grafts from my scalp with no problem?

I have not consulted with surgeons outside of Turkey as I'm not contemplating getting a hair transplant in the US at this time.

I am seriously considering taking Finasteride. It has been brought to my attention that because I am very prone to shock hair loss and damage to my native hairs, I should at least take it prior and after surgery.

You also have fair skin and dark hair, which creates a stark contrast and requires more grafts to create the appearance of density, something that could be challenging if your donor is genetically limited as some have suggested to you.

Interesting... I have always considered myself a rather medium skin tone guy. I may be looking a bit more pale than usual in the photo because of the lighting and because this photo was taken in early spring after a few months of sun deprivation. Here's me at the beach a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully I'm not as fair skinned as the previous photos suggested.

IMG_0030.thumb.JPG.86339b66aa4e6dc82eb272b379366195.JPG

My advice would be to give finasteride a try for a few months. If you cannot tolerate it then I would be hesitant to pull the trigger at your age/condition.

Why would you be hesitant? My hair loss has fairly stabilized the last 2 years.

Edited by WAGuy98056

Get a FUT, where do you live? FUT>FUE if you aren't certain you've stabilized your hairloss.

I live in Seattle, WA, USA but I'm only considering Turkey for a hair transplant. There are no well reviewed clinics in my area, and Bosley is certainly out of question for me. My hairloss has fairly stabilized the last 2 years. The recovery and post-op pain from FUT are preventing from considering it.

I am not an expert. Go see a few top doctors and listen to them. Your donor hair does not look good to me in your last picture and if you are not on finasteride it will likely get worse. That is why I said that I would be hesitant. You mentioned that there are no good doctors in your area. I would put Dr. Gabel's results up against anyone and he is in Oregon.

Guest austin123

FUE and FUT hair transplant both are accepted by all among the people in all over the world.

FUE hair transplant is scarless and less painless technique as compare to the FUT hair transplant.

So if you are ready to get FUE hair transplant than its good for you. If you have any doubts than you just need to find hair transplant clinic near you and meet with the doctors and clarify all of your doubts. After satisfied you can go for hair transplant.

5b32f53a03516_creatingchennall.jpg.1a91baee0639af16f0635ad76cf7e70d.jpg

5b32f53a0e570_graftremoval.jpg.dc87129f7e755b99a9037f9edaba219b.jpg

5b32f53aa7a7a_graftseparation.jpg.03fe4c5a8acb72b3281eaf6afac73fdc.jpg

implantation.jpg.b05e21cced686bc839697db677345cca.jpg

I live in Seattle, WA, USA but I'm only considering Turkey for a hair transplant. There are no well reviewed clinics in my area, and Bosley is certainly out of question for me. My hairloss has fairly stabilized the last 2 years. The recovery and post-op pain from FUT are preventing from considering it.

Dude---Seattle is a 2.5 to 3 hour drive to Vancouver BC, where you have two great docs named Hasson and Wong. If you don't want to commute for the initial consult, you can talk to Mike Ferko, a H&W representative, whose office is on 5th avenue in Downtown Seattle.

• 4 months later...
Triple7@,

Are you talking about Dr. Steven Gabel, who is currently in Seattle with website

Hair Loss - Gabel Hair Restoration Center - FUE and Strip - Board Certified - Most Experienced Hair Transplant Surgeon in Oregon ?

-Thanks!

I believe Dr. Gabel does consults in Seattle and Idaho as a service for Pacific Northwest patients, but his office and practice are in Portland.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016