Dr. Blake Bloxham | Wet and "Slicked Back" Comb-Through Vid. | Feller & Bloxham, NY

Patients frequently ask if they will be able to "slick" their hair back with styling products after a hair transplant. This wet, slicked-back look is a tough one to pull off. So it's not always a possibility for all transplant patients.

I recently had a patient stop back by for his 12 month follow-up. He admitted to me that his secret goal for the transplant had been to wear his hair gelled and slicked-back like he did in high school. Happy to report he was able to pull it off, and I wanted to do a "comb-through" video presenting it as he styles it:

Enjoy!

Dr. B

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

AZ,

Thank you for the kind words.

I generally don't focus on grafts per cm^2. It really comes down to where you're working in the scalp, the patient's physiology, and the patient's follicle/hair characteristics. A patient with thick, coarse, wavy hair is going to achieve a density at 45 grafts per cm^2 equivalent -- or better -- to a patient with fine, light, straight hair at a much higher density -- something like 60 grafts/cm^2.

In general, however, I'd say the hairline gets up into the 60+ category and the areas behind it are a gradient between 40 to 55. All done very strategically to minimize skin damage and avoid issues with blood supply compromise.

Hope this helps.

Dr Bloxham

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Trix and Jack,

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed the video.

Hairthere,

Thank you for the kind words!

AZ,

Thank you for the kind words.

I generally don't focus on grafts per cm^2. It really comes down to where you're working in the scalp, the patient's physiology, and the patient's follicle/hair characteristics. A patient with thick, coarse, wavy hair is going to achieve a density at 45 grafts per cm^2 equivalent -- or better -- to a patient with fine, light, straight hair at a much higher density -- something like 60 grafts/cm^2.

In general, however, I'd say the hairline gets up into the 60+ category and the areas behind it are a gradient between 40 to 55. All done very strategically to minimize skin damage and avoid issues with blood supply compromise.

Hope this helps.

Dr Bloxham

Thanks for explaining. That does make sense.