Propecia / Finasteride Dosage Question

djohnson

I started taking finasteride at the beginning of the year. Before I did, I got a baseline test of many of my different hormone levels (everything was in the normal range). I initially took 1mg and noted fairly immediate sexual side effects. I then lowered it, and stared taking 1/4 of a pill every other day (so basically, 0.125mg). I noticed some occasional sides, but nothing too dramatic. After 3 months, I got my DHT level checked and started taking 1/4 pill every day (0.25mg) and noticed some increased side effects.

I just got my test results back, my DHT level went from 63 ng/dL before finasteride to 12 ng/dL while taking 1/4 eod: 0.125mg. Approximately 80% drop.

My question is, is that an effective drop in DHT, enough to result in the cessation of hair loss? And if so, should I drop back down 0.125mg, or go off of it until the sides are gone before starting back up at just 0.125mg?

Thanks.

So, I am not a doc, but if those numbers are correct, I would say yes. The average drop, I believe, is 67%.

That said, response to meds (cessation of hair loss) is not the same as dropping your dht.

For instance, my DHT may only drop 60 percent on fin, but my follicles are not extremely sensitive to the damage it does and I could gain traction and stay at baseline for 15 years.. Inversely, someone with extreme sensitivity, and therefore premature baldness, could drop his DHT 90 percent, but only slow his hair loss instead of stopping it because he is so genetically sensitive.

Anyway, I would be happy with an 80 percent drop of dht..

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.