Post Transplant Swelling

Hello - Can someone advise how long the swelling lasts and if it is typical for swelling to spread from the head to the facial area? Also, how soon before toppek can be applied again? What about a couvre type product directly on the scar after the stitches come out. Thanks in advance.

Hello - Can someone advise how long the swelling lasts and if it is typical for swelling to spread from the head to the facial area? Also, how soon before toppek can be applied again? What about a couvre type product directly on the scar after the stitches come out. Thanks in advance.

Swelling can last days if you do not use use like directed-- I recommend ICe every every 30-45 min. for the first 3-5 days (the docs say first 24 hrs, but all my HTs Ive used ice for at least 3 days like this and never had any swelling).

As far as Toppiks, I would say after day 7 you should be able to use Toppiks since it doesnt' stick to your scalp as much-- just be gentle when washing out.

They say you can use couvre type products after 10 days-- I like Dermatch myself--.. But I would stick with Toppiks until around 2 weeks post stitch/staple removal to make sure the incision is completely closed because that stuff can get into the pores and be a mess.

JacobS,

Did your doctor prescribe or provide you with a steroid known as Prednisone? This really can help with swelling along with the ice packs.

The effects of gravity also pull down the solutions that were injected into the scalp and usually noticed 2-3 days post-op and then lingers another 2-3 days until it subsides. Those are the averages and so don't worry, things should subside very soon. There was one individual in this forum who recently posted about some dramatic swelling, but it is the exception and not the rule.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Just my 2 cents worth - I had 3,500 grafts and the swelling started around my eyes only, about 5 days after surgery. It gradually got worse, my eyes almost closing up . I didn't apply any ice or anything - just let nature take it's course. After about a week of this, it subsided, and disappeared within a couple of days. Not a problem really, but you need to keep a low-profile if possible. I took time off work; it would have been very conspicuous at the workplace...