Strip or FUE for diffuse thinner with Nuchal Ridge at the back?

Hi,

I need some help. I do not know whether i should do strip or FUE. I have been following this forum for a while now & find it very helpful but the problem is cannot make up my mind.

Im a diffuse thinner heading towards a nw6/7 eventually, not yet though. Right now i have front third which needs urgent attention.

One thing to bear in mind is that i have a 'nuchal ridge' at the back of my head as shown in the pictures below. This means if my scar is above the nuchal ridge' and eventually (probably after 6/7 years) if i become a nw6/7 then my scar will be seen.

The last thing i want is to be stuck with a scar which i cannot cover up after some years down the line.

For this reason, im confused if i should do strip or FUE. With Fue i understand i will run out of donor, no doubts. But then i would take the risk of using body hairs or if the worst comes at least i know i can just leave my hair short.

Please convey your thoughts on this situation. what should i do taking into account all the above?

Hopefully any scarring from a strip would be pencil thin and your loss won't progress to that area, however, in a worst-case scenario you could FUE into the scar at a later stage, should it become necessary. This could also be an option even if the scar isn't pencil thin.

I'm not going to recommend one over the other, this is a choice you really have to make yourself - I'm just saying there are other options.

I agree its your choice but dont think "if I get a strip scar I can always fue into it" as you wont get the same density as your surrounding hair to hide it.

At least if you get decent fue, you wont have to worry about scarring and you get to keep all of your scalp.

Hey Sparky,

I'm sure you know more on this subject than me, but if FUE into a scar won't help hide it, I'm curious as to what you're hoping to achieve with your recent procedure.

Of course, I'm not suggesting FUE into a scar would make it 100% undetectable but if its not going to make an impressive cosmetic difference, what is the point?

How old are you ? I'd say if you are under 30 years old then just forget about HT all together, as you would not be a good cantidate.

Originally posted by ultimate:

Hi,

I need some help. I do not know whether i should do strip or FUE. I have been following this forum for a while now & find it very helpful but the problem is cannot make up my mind.

Im a diffuse thinner heading towards a nw6/7 eventually, not yet though. Right now i have front third which needs urgent attention.

One thing to bear in mind is that i have a 'nuchal ridge' at the back of my head as shown in the pictures below. This means if my scar is above the nuchal ridge' and eventually (probably after 6/7 years) if i become a nw6/7 then my scar will be seen.

The last thing i want is to be stuck with a scar which i cannot cover up after some years down the line.

For this reason, im confused if i should do strip or FUE. With Fue i understand i will run out of donor, no doubts. But then i would take the risk of using body hairs or if the worst comes at least i know i can just leave my hair short.

Please convey your thoughts on this situation. what should i do taking into account all the above?

Ultimate,

Point blank, unless you strongly object to a linear strip scar, given your level of current and projected future degree of hair loss, you'd be much better suited for strip - providing a qualified surgeon agrees after an in person evaluation.

The primary advantage of FUE is that you won't be left with a linear scar. While FUE typically gives patients a greater chance at wearing their hair short on the sides and back without seeing visible signs of scarring, a strip scar is typically minimal and easily concealed by your natural hair even at relatively short lengths under optimal conditions.

In my opinion, FUE is better reserved for patients with minimal risk of excessive hair loss, patients aminately against a strip scar, or patients who want more density after they're out of donor via strip.

Most reputable FUE surgeons will tell you that available donor supply is between 3000 to 5000 follicular units whereas the average donor supply via strip is between 5000 to 7500 grafts. FUE is also typically more expensive.

Ultimately, it's your choice, but if I were you, I'd consider physicians in the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians who perform large densely packed sessions of ultra refined hair transplants when appropriate for the patient. To see our standards for the Coalition, click here.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks to all,

First of all im 27 years old and no matter what i have decided to have HT whether its FUE or strip, as i cannot live with my frontal hairloss. Its making my life miserable.

Bill,

I understand doing Strip first would be a wise option with a reputable doctor, but as explained above my scar is going to be above my 'nuchal ridge' which is higher up than where a normal scar would go. And because im a diffuse thinner it is highly likely that my scar would be hard to cover up, eventually if i end up as a nw6/7.

Would you still recommend strip?

Doing strip would most probably mean i would have to FUE into my scar, maybe after 6/7 years. Should i consider this option?

Or should i just do FUE knowing that i will need bht to do my crown area for sure.

I do not want to do FUE and then Strip. It does not make sense.

Maxxy, I just want to break it up as best as I can, the hair in the scar will not be as dense as surrounding hair, but it wont look like a scar anymore and thats what I'm shooting for. Had fue been around when I was 22, I wouldnt have a strip scar now.

I know someone who had 7200 done via fue with amazing results, so thats one of the reasons why I prefer it. I do know that a lot of people wont get his results, as he had good denisty on the sides. I also dont know of anyone else that has had that much fue with his success.