Confused with doctors' assesment.

Hi all, I sent my pre-op pictures to 3 different doctors in India (2 Fue, 1 FUT using Trichophytic Closure).

One says I need 2200 grafts. Another says 3000. Third says 4000.

I'm very confused.

Also, the FUT doctor claims I will have invisible scars (he's the cheapest of the lot). Can I trust him in his claim? All 3 are recommended and reviewed in this forum.

I would ask the FUT doctor to clarify what he means by invisible scars, sure it can be invisible if you heal well and you wear you hair at a length that will cover the scar.

I am sure this is what he means.

Photos only tell part of the story if going in for treatment after online consultations alone you should always be prepared for the plan to change once you have been seen in person.

All the best.

Senior Patient Advisor for Dr Edward Ball of The Maitland Clinic.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Maitland Clinic.

Formerly Garageland of Hasson & Wong with 20 years of history in Hair Restoration.

Meet with myself for a free consultation and advice in London on June 21st 2018.

And the variance in grafts estimates from each doctor can be due to the level of grafted density, where the hairline is established, the total surface of the recipient area, things like that.

IMHO, using terms such as "invisible" are misleading. Can a strip scar be camouflaged or well hidden? Sure. But invisible? No way...:rolleyes:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

There are no guarantees with FUT or with FUE. None. The first steps you should consider are to look at cases on the websites of these doctors and ask yourself if you see similar cases with similar graft estimates that they gave you and if those results are what you would consider to be desirable. Ask them to explain the differences between quotes that you've received. Any estimate you've been given should be explainable if required.

Online representative for Dr. Bernard Arocha

Learn more about Hair Transplants in Texas!

Hi all, I sent my pre-op pictures to 3 different doctors in India (2 Fue, 1 FUT using Trichophytic Closure).

One says I need 2200 grafts. Another says 3000. Third says 4000.

I'm very confused.

Also, the FUT doctor claims I will have invisible scars (he's the cheapest of the lot). Can I trust him in his claim? All 3 are recommended and reviewed in this forum.

Even the best FUT surgeons CANNOT predict how visible your FUT scar will be as it depends on your skin characteristics. It goes without saying to go to a top doctor in any case.

As someone who has gone with FUT avoid it and go with FUE.

Grafts needed are a factor of planned work and targeted density. Comparing raw graft numbers without knowing each plan is only having part of the equation. Some doctors have also proven to be able to do "more" with less (illusion).

FUT is always cheaper.

Ask for photographs of their work, do lots of research.

My HT Journey

The FUT surgery experience and results

Disguising my FUT Scar

Medications and Supplements

Supplements: Biotin, MSM

5% Minoxidil Foam

Regenepure Shampoo (re-starting 1mo after HT)

Thanks everyone. I received a video clip showing no scar but who are they kidding here? The doc is pretty reputed and recommended (Indian) on this. I'm seriously considering doing it....but I'm still a bit confused about the number of grafts quoted...

Another question I have, what are the chances that a doc will quote 4000 grafts but only implants 3000? Meaning, he just makes it up? Surely, there's no way I can verify if he did indeed implant what he'd told me...

Thanks everyone. I received a video clip showing no scar but who are they kidding here? The doc is pretty reputed and recommended (Indian) on this. I'm seriously considering doing it....but I'm still a bit confused about the number of grafts quoted...

Another question I have, what are the chances that a doc will quote 4000 grafts but only implants 3000? Meaning, he just makes it up? Surely, there's no way I can verify if he did indeed implant what he'd told me...

There will be a scar, some are just more visible than others.

If you're concerned a doctor may be dishonest on graft counts or on results, I'd advise not trusting your body to their work. Is it possible graft counts are inflated? Yes, dishonest people exist everywhere.

It's difficult deciding to undergo the surgery. It's an overwhelming investment in trust and capital. Potential dishonesty on graft counts is indeed a valid concern, but you aren't buying a used car. The biggest issue is entrusting your ONE body's​ well being, both physical and emotional. If you aren't very confident in your selection, step back and wait until you are. I say "very confident" because some anxiety will naturally exist, but if it's personally deemed illogical you may be on the right path.

My HT Journey

The FUT surgery experience and results

Disguising my FUT Scar

Medications and Supplements

Supplements: Biotin, MSM

5% Minoxidil Foam

Regenepure Shampoo (re-starting 1mo after HT)

A good doc can minimize a scar and camouflage it well, but not guarantee one won't exist, be careful of such language.

It comes across as salesy.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Irrespective of the clinic, they should chart how many grafts are being implanted, the sizes of the grafts, and where they are implanted.

For any reason they do not agree to this or are unwilling to show you how they document their numbers, choose another doctor/clinic.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY