FUT post-op care concerns

So I had a transplant with Hasson and Wong a couple days ago, and I believe I have a pimple/zit with a whitehead on my crown. Should I pop it? I was told not to put any alcohol on my scalp so how would I disinfect and remove it and not ruin/irritate any grafts?

should I use vitamin E oil on my recipient grafts? I read that some surgeons recommend it.

my instructions say to wash hair once day, but other surgeons state twice, will washing my head twice a day affect the grafts/scar in anyway? I ask because I tend to get very oily skin and I really don't want to clog any grafts.

would appreciate any help as well as some source links (for my benefit) on any advice you'd be willing to share!

So I had a transplant with Hasson and Wong a couple days ago, and I believe I have a pimple/zit with a whitehead on my crown. Should I pop it? I was told not to put any alcohol on my scalp so how would I disinfect and remove it and not ruin/irritate any grafts?

should I use vitamin E oil on my recipient grafts? I read that some surgeons recommend it.

my instructions say to wash hair once day, but other surgeons state twice, will washing my head twice a day affect the grafts/scar in anyway? I ask because I tend to get very oily skin and I really don't want to clog any grafts.

would appreciate any help as well as some source links (for my benefit) on any advice you'd be willing to share!

Couple of days, still early, popping could disrupt grafts healing. No Vit E until they heal properly, washing it off could be as mess. Wash hair once a day is enough. Stay calm and patient and rest. I don't have links, just 3 HTs experiences.

Couple of days, still early, popping could disrupt grafts healing. No Vit E until they heal properly, washing it off could be as mess. Wash hair once a day is enough. Stay calm and patient and rest. I don't have links, just 3 HTs experiences.

yea so this is where I'm confused, I was told by the nurses to pop them and even given a couple of needles. So I'm getting conflicting information, and the post-op care booklet doesn't mention popping the zits/pimples.

Agreed. Do not pop anything at this early stage.

You're out of the woods only after 10 days in terms of babying the grafts and recipient area, so you're not there yet.

Try to ignore them until at least then.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

If you're two or three days post op, touch nothing!

Follow your doctor's post op instructions above all else and do so diligently.

Studies suggest that after day 6 the grafts are nearly impossible to dislodge, but to be on the safe side most clinics want you to leave your head alone 10 to 14 days.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Try soft compressions with a warm cloth to relieve the pimples.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

You should go to a local clinic in the morning and have them examine you. Everything I've read says that you'll get pimples from ingrown hairs but that doesn't happen until they start growing which is like three months later! You're only a couple of days after your surgery so you might have an infection and a doctor should check you out and prescribe antibiotics.

Its really just a small whitehead, but like many I am just worried it might affect the growth of the transplanted hairs. I am still on the antibiotics though

I honestly would not suggest popping any pimples on your scalp. Early on in particular, they are likely not even pimples, they are probably scabs forming and the last thing you want to do is do anything that will damage the follicular units that have been planted.

Typically scalp pimples begin forming when hair starts to grow back which is usually between 2 1/2 to 4 months and sometimes longer. I still don't recommend popping them at that point, if anything, keeping your scalp clean, using Aloe and vitamin E oil will help aid things along.

Best wishes,

Bill