Dr. Ron Chao, M.D. with Hairlab

Escobaro

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

drmstx and Peter Gibbons,

Our demanding criteria for recommendation can be found on our physicians standards page.

We are willing to consider any hair restoration physician for potential recommendation if they meet the standards set by this community and are willing to go through our rigorous prescreening process and be 100% transparent about their procedure and results. I am not familiar enough with Dr. Chao's work or results to comment. However, if he is interested in being considered for potential recommendaiton, he is welcome to contact me privately.

Best wishes,

Bill

• 11 months later...

I just had a procedure done by dr Chao. 2,257 grafts all over my crown and some on the hairline, on 2/15/2011. I am now three days post-op. I have no swelling, no bleeding and all looks good. Check out my pics. Dr Ron Chao and his staff are very nice people, extraordinarily courteous and they even bought me lunch.

Just because a doctor isn't on here doesn't mean they aren't good. It means that the doctors on here have shown enough good results and have proved their ethics enough times to have membership. If you pick a doctor on here all the hard work is done. You know they have been scrutinized enough to be deemed very good with dependable results. I'm sure there are plenty of doctors out there worthy of membership but they aren't known to the HTN yet. I'm sure they would be considered if they came forward and showed plenty of results and most importantly had lots of patients come on here and give their reviews.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Peter and EJ thanks for sharing your experiences. I wish you both good growth!!

they even bought me lunch

Thats amazing I have heard horror stories of doctor either starving their patients or making them drive to Mcdonalds for food. ;)

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Thank you Lorenzo. Good luck Pete. Your pics look great. I was surprised they bought me lunch. They suggested I take a break and eat, though I kindly declined as I wanted to get this over with. Sitting in the chair for 6 hours was like....argh; though I was heavily sedated. My only regret is that he didn't densely pack the grafts due to my smoking which I was able to cut down to 3-4 cigs a day but not quit. He assured me however that I should be fine. I am 5 days post-op, recovering nicely, slight swelling of the forehead for which I used ice packs and anti swelling meds. The donor area is still tight and slightly uncomfortable. Valium helps me sleep like a baby. I no longer sleep at an incline, and I take it very easy at work. 4 more days to go before I can take a normal shower and run my fingers through my hair. I did notice a two hair graft falling out which I saved; I was told it's normal. Everyone at work is fascinated at my procedure and a few have even come up to me and opened up about their hair loss. Expressing and confronting your fears and subsequent actions by talking to people has made me all the more comfortable. After two years on Avodart, without any results besides a terrible loss in libido, I am finally elated and proud to have done this.

Cheers...

My only regret is that he didn't densely pack the grafts due to my smoking which I was able to cut down to 3-4 cigs a day but not quit. He assured me however that I should be fine.

He seems to be a reasonably knowledgeable doctor to take this into account.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Yes indeed, i was upset at first but then understood his logic. Nonetheless I am glad he didn't refuse me. He told me that when certain serious cosmetic surgeries are performed, the nurses draw blood and check for nicotine content. If you're blood contains nicotine they'll hold off on the surgery.

Thanks RC

Sounds like Dr. Chao and Dr. Ochs have an interesting relationship :eek:

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

• 2 months later...

I had my procedure done July 9, 2010 with Dr. Chao. I'd have to agree that Dr. Chao's professionalism is great and his staff were a pleasure to be around. His staff and I joked and laughed through the procedure. They were great. Plus, since the procedure took 9 hours to complete, they treated me to a free lunch, which I definitely did not expect, but gratefully appreciated.

As for the procedure itself, I have mixed feelings about it.

First, from what I found out later from another Dr. friend of mine, there is a ointment out in the market that Dr.'s can use to numb the injection sites prior to injecting the anesthesia. Well, of course, Dr. Chao did not use this numbing ointment first. And the pain from the needles being stuck in my head was something that I wasn't prepared for, but of course, I got through it.

Secondly, I paid for the Norwood 4-6 ($5000) procedure and the results I got coming up a year later, seems to me to be less than what I paid for.

Maybe, it's just my misperception, but judging by all these posts from others who had like 2500 to 3500 grafts done, their pictures shows more hair growth and density on their heads than what has grown on mine.

Also, although I paid for 2500-3500 grafts, I don't know what my total grafts were. I tried to inquire with Rob Angleino (Founder & Director) of Hairlab, as well as with Dr. Chao as to what my total count was, but did not get any response. So I'm left in the dark as to what my count is and hence makes it difficult for me to determine if I received what I paid for.

Although I'm content with what has grown in, I just thought that there should have been more density on my head and more areas filled in. Like what others have gotten from their single procedures. So it looks like I'll have to get a second procedure done in order to get the results that others on this site have received with just one procedure.

So would I return to Dr. Chao to have the second procedure???? Well, to be honest, I don't know.

With his pricing, professionalism, very friendly staff, hospitality... all these factors would definitely make me want to go back to him.

With the results I got.... probably not. However, when it comes to the bottom dollar and we all want a good deal.... I'd probably go back to him due to that other doctors out there seem to be charging higher prices than what should be charging, but this time I'd make sure to get all the details of the count of how many grafts.

Hopes this didn't make it more difficult to decide.

• 1 month later...

Sorry it took so long to reply....Currently i'm beyond the four and a half month mark...I was told the number of grafts given me, which was a surprise...2,257 overall, though I only paid for 2,000. Two weeks later when I had the sutures removed, I grilled the nurse with questions...As the nurse told me that they had transplanted up to 60 single grafts per square cm in certain areas; that made me rethink their strategy of not densely packing the grafts since i am a smoker. I don't know though I was told by bosley doctors back in 2003 after a consultation that a succesful transplant has about 25 - 40 grafts... Also they took pictures right after the procedure; pics that I have not seen despite calling them a few times...No contact at all from them; However after about 3 months when I had my stylist examine my scalp, she couldn't tell I had had a procedure and there was no new hair growth yet. Most of the transplanted hair had fallen off. A week ago I had her recheck my scalp and she noticed new hair sprouting forth that looked like "a day without shaving" with hair all over my receeding hair line. Although not an expert she did assure me that the new hair that was coming out was dense and growing out evenly....When I look in the mirror I cannot see much improvement as it is still early; Though I trust my hairdresser as she assures me that Dr Chao did a fine job and that I should be patient.....The mark of 4-6 months seems crucial. Though I do find it slightly easier to comb my hair. I am very optimistic...

ejl7,

I totally understand what you are going through. I'm coming up on a year now since my procedure. I have substantial hair growth throughout the back regions and some in the front. Just to let you know, even though they may state that after 4-6 months you should see hair growth, I personally didn't see any substantial hair growth until about 8 months. Especially in the hairline region. However, when I started taking Propecia and using Rogain in the hairline region, this is when I noticed the hair growth speed up and coming out more. So, perhaps this is something you'd should consider if you want to see your hair grow in faster.

Also, FYI, I was one of those unlucky few who got a lot of pimples on the crown of my head when the hair started to grow in. If you experience this, I found out how to get rid of the pimples extremely quickly. When I went to Cabo for vacation, I had all these pimples on the top of my head. I spent one day in the ocean swimming and snorkeling and such for about 5 hours.

The next day, I discovered that all the pimples had gone away. I suspected that it was the sea salt that caused the healing. To confirm my suspension, when I got the pimples again, about a week later, I went and bought sea salt from the store and when taking a shower, I would place and good handful of wet and soggy sea salt on the crown of my head where the pimples were and sure enough 2 days later the pimples went away.

So my advise is, if you get the pimples, use the sea salt daily and you'll see them go away very quickly.

Good luck with your results.

B.

Thank you, for your reply....No I have not experienced that many pimples that would alarm me and as for propecia that's out of the question...I was on propecia for six monthe and switched to avodart for two years with no results except for a loss in libido and terribly embarrassing sexual encounters...I had to visit an endocrinologist who put me on supplements and I had to give me myself tri weekly injections of hormones to help boost my natural testosterone levels back to normal...Then I had my hair transplnt. As I am 41 years old, I really don't want to mess with my libido...Thank you for your words of support. I now can safely assume that I have to be patient for another 3-4 months...before I notice a considerable difference....Boy do I hate having to comb over that small bald patch...

WOW... I guess Propecia and all those other stuff effects people differently. I took Propecia for like 6 months only, but did not have those side effects and I'm 36. But at least use the Rogain foam. It will help the speed of growth in the front hairline. It did for me. And from what I read that shouldn't affect your libido since it's an external application.

And I feel ya too about the combing over the patch! :)

But, yeah, be patient about when the results will start to show. Plus, you'll see even more results at about the 10 to 11 month stage and then at about the 18 month stage should be when if anything that's going to grow out, will have grown out by then. Which will let you know if you need to get another procedure done or not.

As for me, I this Saturday will be my 1 yr anniversary of my procedure and I can already tell that I'm going to need another procedure done.

I will consider the rogaine topical solution, it seems like a safe bet....The first three months after the procedure seemed unending....now that i'm approaching five months I'm like...arghhhh. You've been patient for a year and somewhat pleased with your results regarding dr Chao...I too have thought of the possibility of more hair growth had I gone to another more reputable doctor; Cost, like you mentioned, is a major factor. He did mention that because i'm a smoker he'd put less grafts and yet the day of the surgery he had transplanted more than 2,000 grafts...confussing yes, but grateful nonetheless. Most likely I will go back to him as well because he's cheap and his staff is great. Unfortunately neither dr chao nor Rob Angelino really ever return phone calls; you're basically ignored and forgotten...that alone will make me scrutinize him and his staff even more, and milk them for as much attention as I can. Thanks a lot for your reply....

• 1 month later...

Hey ejl7,

1. Is the extraction method of the follicles via suction method?

2. Does the Dr. implant the hair follicles, or assistant?

I read that you said it was the main assistant that implanted the follicles. I plan to have my hair short, so I am avoiding anything that can create a noticeable scares. Thanks. I plan to do it some time this November.

Hey Moonfresh,

Dr Chao did the strip excision; I don't know what the suction method is...He then punched holes in my head, while his assistant stood by with a counter clicker. Another, started to dissect the grafts. Then he left the room while the main assistant started to place the grafts. She was joined by a male assistant who helped her with the placing of the grafts. after a very long while, she finished and the doctor was called in to examine the final result and then I was sent home...

Hey ejl7,

Thanks for the extra info. I wish HairLab website would offer more detailed info on their procedure. The suction method is when they move each graft individually. It's mostly for people who wear their hair short--like me. And it is hard to see the holes when they heal, provided it was done with care/precision. And about the assistants, I didn't know if it was medically valid for them to place the grafts. Isn't that borderline practicing medicine? Did other places you survey do the same thing? Again, thanks.

thanks Moonfresh, yes, before I had my transplant I read all I could on the subject and even spoke to a few doctors so I wasn't surprised when the two assistants started placing the grafts in the doctors absence. Now granted, the whole procedure cost me $3,500.00 which is very low indeed. I got what I paid for. though it was a bit confusing when I came back two weeks later to remove the sutures. I asked the assistant how many grafts were placed per square cm and she replied about 60. Now I argued with her that since I was a smoker the doctor warned me about placing the grafts too close and as a former assistant to Bosley she should know that they routine place, or used to place about 25-40 grafts per cm2 to acheive a normal result. The 60 grafts were a little too much and there would be a risk of losing them due to my "poor" oxygen-blood supply. She assured me all was fine, though she was taken back a little but my response and knowledge on the subject. Dr Chao was nowhere to be found. I called back and spoke to him and he was a little rude on the phone to me; I was just a patient with a lot of questions....now that I'm over the sixth month mark, by a week or so, I've thought of scheduling an appointment with him but declined fearing he would be rude again...Also the fact that my hair is growing in and I can see some results, especially in the hairline, I figured I am pleased thus far with the results, and needn't bother. I will continue to wait for another 5-6 months before I assess my overall results. Thank goodness I have a wondeful hairdresser who has been with me from the strat and closely monitors my scalp; she says the grafts look good and I need to be patient. I shouldn't worry. I doubt I will be going back to him though. I mean if yyou can't talk to your doctor then, WTF?

Thanks ejl7,

Thanks for the info. You got a good deal. $3500 is surprisingly affordable. And you're getting good results. The Dr. looks like he is "old school Asian." That's why he sounded kind of rude. They get offended because they strive for the best/perfection. So asking them any questions is kind of rude. It's a cultural thing. No one asks the Master a question in Eastern culture. I am "new school Asian," and I don't like doing business with "old school Asians." LOL. But he sounds competent from yours/Peters' experience. I will probably use him this November. The price/service/results is hard to negate. I should kind of mention to him to be more polite for your sake. I won't mention your name, though...LOL. TTYL.

your welcome, moonfresh. The price is way too cheap, and so far I am pleased with the results. I can't wait to see the full outcome, so I have to be patient for a few more months. It's ok don't mention anything to him, about being more polite. For the services rendered I got a very good deal, and they did buy me lunch after all...I am just too excited and have all these questions.

• 1 month later...

I just had a procedure with Dr Chao today. 2000 grafts Prices amazing follow thru great. They are more relaxed/casual then other Dr's I met with so if you want a beverly hills experience they may not be for you. It was between Dr Diep and Dr Chao I really liked both, It came down to Dr Chao being close to where I live and a great price point. You can see my pics on my profile. I will update it every couple of days. This site and the people on it have been such an incredible community to be a part of on this journey, and I want to thank all of you. I am happy to meet or discuss the procedure i had with anyone. It was a scary step to take for me, but I actually fell asleep during the transplant so there was no need for the fear!

Thanks J

Edited by jcap

congratulations Jcap....you took the final step....the first ten days are the hardest and most critical. But the valium and atleast three days off will help....take it easy and don't panic if you spot a graft that fell off. It's normal to lose a few. I only spotted one. The day I was able to take a full shower and wash my head was exhillarating.

Hey Jcap,

It looks good. Thanks for sharing. I was wondering if you had ask the company about FUE (I believe that is when the hair follicles are extracted individually)? I can see that you had the strip method, which is cool if you plan to wear your hair long. I emailed them, and they stop replying after I asked them about FUE. I guess they only service those who tend to wear their hair long. Again, thanks for the info. I wish you the best of LUCK!

Hey Moonfresh, I am pretty sure they do FUE, I was not interested in that as I have met so many people that have done strip and the scar is not that visible at all. And the price difference was pretty big. I would suggest calling Rob and speaking with him. They are not pushing at all and I found easy to talk with them. I just uploaded my pics from post op day 1......Today!!! if you want to check them out J