Avodart shed

Djlazerblue

Just looking for some advice,

I switched to Avodart last month from propecia as I felt it wasn't as effective as when I started it 6 years ago,

Since II've been taking Avodart I notice my hair seems to be shedding more, A month in now and yesterday suffered a massive shed, something I'd never experienced before on propecia, is this normal

Thanks for your help

Steve

Normal. Could be from stopping propecia as well. Sounds like you are taking BRAND NAME meds so you it's not a case where the meds aren't fully potent. it may be too late now but introducing the avodart slowly while eliminating the propecia might lesson the side effects, such as shedding. I do 5 days propecia (M, W, TH, SA, SU), 2 days avodart (T, F); since the half like for avodart is long. My derm recommended this usage.Dutasteride use for hairloss is off label but i think the makers are doing clinicals to get FDA approval. In any case, ya gotta ride it out at this point. should be fine.

Thanks guys I will ride it out I was worry im going bald overnight but I'm sure mpb dosent just happen over night it's a long process, so I I'm sure it's the avodart switch shocking my system, I'll see how I go and post updates for u cheers guys

Steve,

If you just recently switched form Propecia (finasteride) to Avodart (dutasteride), a shed is quite typical. Dutasteride is much more potent than finasteride and thus, the fact that you are shedding more now is a good sign and will likely result in more effective treatment.

Out of curiosity, why did you switch? Did you feel that Propecia wasn't effective enough or were you just hoping to experience additional hair regrowth with dutasteride?

Best wishes,

Bill

Yeh I hear what your saying I've read tht dut can bring on a heavy shed, I switched because after 6 years I felt propecia had lost its effectiveness, like any drug I think you build a tolerance up, so I felt the best thing to do is change to something stronger, I still have a decent amount of hair for 32 and a transplant it out of the question for me as I have had reactions to local anthestic, so I'll see how this dut goes, apart from the shed no other sides yet