Questions about the FOX test

Hi All,

I have been viewing the posts on this forum for months but only joined over the weekend. As the subject of this post suggests, this is with regard to the FOX test to determine of one is a candidate for a FUE. My questions are as follows:

a) Is the FOX test generally done during an in-person consultation or during an actual FUE session?

b) Can a FOX test be done ahead of time? I guess where I am going with this is that if I am not a candidate as per the FOX test, digging deeper into the FUE arena

is probably not worth my while. If I am, I can at least start planning for it - especially the financial aspects of it.

c) Have any of you failed the FOX test once and then passed after taking it later?

Responses to my questions will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

WhamHair

Hi All,

I have been viewing the posts on this forum for months but only joined over the weekend. As the subject of this post suggests, this is with regard to the FOX test to determine of one is a candidate for a FUE. My questions are as follows:

a) Is the FOX test generally done during an in-person consultation or during an actual FUE session?

b) Can a FOX test be done ahead of time? I guess where I am going with this is that if I am not a candidate as per the FOX test, digging deeper into the FUE arena

is probably not worth my while. If I am, I can at least start planning for it - especially the financial aspects of it.

c) Have any of you failed the FOX test once and then passed after taking it later?

Responses to my questions will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

WhamHair

Hi Leeson,

Thanks a ton for the prompt response to my post. I have sent Dr. Feller's clinic and e-mail and also sent a similar one to Dr. Rahal's clinic.

I actually vaguely remember someone on this forum saying he tested negative first and then tested FOX positive in Dr. Feller's clinic. I was just curious as to whether he was a random case or if that is a common occurence.

Thank you once again for the prompt acknowledgment of my post.

WhamHair

The FOX test has been proven to be unpredictive of FUE success. This is probably due to the number of differnt FUE methods that have been invented since the FOX test was first created by Dr. Rassman circa 2002.

Truth is, you never know how well an FUE is going to go until you actually attempt it. FOX tests are too small to be of value because while one area may be very bad for FUE, other areas just a few inches away may be ideal. And vica-versa. The FOX test also doesn't give the practitioner time to "warm up", which is very important in FUE surgery.

I know everyone thinks FUE stands for Follicular Unit Extraction, but in reality it should stand for Friggin' Unpredicatable Expectations.

If you are going to go for FUE, great, but only do so if you are fully aware that often FUE results don't come out as good as the same number of strip grafts. This doesn't mean FUE surgery CAN'T rival strip surgery graft for graft, but that it doesn't happen consistently and there is a HUGE variation from clinic to clinic.

If you are dead-set against strip surgery for any reason, as some people are, then FUE is your way to go.

Dr. Feller,

I truly appreciate your prompt response to my post. In fact, I sent a somewhat similar e-mail to your clinic earlier today. I really thought of the FOX test as some type of test for eligibility for ANY method of transplantation. I guess my assumption was wrong. Thank you very much for clarifying this for me.

Regards,

WhamHair

Dr, Feller

commendations on another greatly informative and honest post!

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Originally posted by Dr. Alan Feller:

If you are dead-set against strip surgery for any reason, as some people are, then FUE is your way to go.

Dr Feller,

If you high up on the norwood scale and against doing strip does that mean your out of options?