Surrounding tissue and growth/graft survival

Szotz_257

Having researched a bit since my procedure, I seem to be finding some conflicting information about graft survival and growth.

If the follicle is transected (meaning sliced off from the bulb) it obviously won't grow at all. As I understand it, you will see this quite early after the procedure: any grafts that are still growing after the procedure were not transected.

However, another factor to consider is the surrounding tissue around the graft. One forum post I found stated that the genetic information that makes the hair grow is contained in the surrounding tissue and not in the bulb itself.

Is this true? If so, that would explain how certain extraction techniques can have low transection rates and yet still evidence poor growth in the final results, as they offer lower precision and therefore retain less of the surrounding tissue.

Hope someone can clear things up for me a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not a doctor but I would expect the genetic coding information would be contained within the hair/follicle tissue and not the surrounding tissue. Skilled doctors use very small punches (.8mm) to remove the graft to avoid visible scarring. There will always be a low percentage of transactions that occur. Good surgeons remove additional grafts to make up for any losses to transection. Ask your doctor about the genetic specifics.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Zircon,

There's an older story about chubby grafts vs skinny grafts thy shoes how hair follicles with more surrounding tissue typically grows better than those with less. Now whether this is because of the growth factors in the surrounding tissue or because skinny grafts are more fragile and may be more susceptible to damage during the operation. That said, there is evidence showing that the tissue surrounding the bulb is important.

Best wishes,

Bill