Donor pain when sleeping

Hi!

I had an FUT about 1 week ago.

Things are healing as they should i think, looking good actually.

However, I have a lot of trouble sleeping because of pain when applying any kind of pressure to my FUT scar (it goes from one ear to another) when resting my head on the pillow.

I know it's still early, but not sleeping at all overnight makes me grumpy ahah!

I tried sleeping on my back with two different airplane-type cushions, tried sleeping with a cervical collar, tried sleeping on the side.... no luck. And sleeping on my forehead is out of question as my nose gets way too stuffy this way.

And I obviously load myself with acetaminophen and advil during the night (my stronger pain killers and sedatives are finished now) to try and alleviate some of the pain.

Any insider's tips on how to manage to sleep with donor scar pain ?

Thanks!

Hi!

However, I have a lot of trouble sleeping because of pain when applying any kind of pressure to my FUT scar (it goes from one ear to another) when resting my head on the pillow.

I know it's still early, but not sleeping at all overnight makes me grumpy ahah!

I tried sleeping on my back with two different airplane-type cushions, tried sleeping with a cervical collar, tried sleeping on the side.... no luck. And sleeping on my foreheead is out of question as my nose gets way too stuffy this way.

And I obviously load myself with acetaminophen and advil during the night (my stronger pain killers and sedatives are finished now) to try and alleviate some of the pain.

Thanks!

I slept on an inclined angle at 45 degrees (on a foldable bed) with soft baby pillow with cushions beneath (on the left and right side) to lock my head in place. I slept well and comfortably.

I agree that keeping your head slightly elevated may be of some relief and try to sleep on your side as much as possible rather than laying with your back side down.

You should start to get some relief soon as there is still a fair amount of inflammation and swelling that still persists this soon post-op.

An anti-inflammatory should help like Ibuprofen. Also try using some ice packs on the area just before retiring to sleep.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Sleeping elevated is going to help tremendously. I did this using a lot of pillows to make a gradual incline on my mattress and put a fitted sheet over top of them to hold them in place. Then I bundled up as snuggly as possible to keep myself from tossing and turning too much (something I generally do a lot of when I sleep). The elevation will also help keep any potential facial swelling you may experience to a minimum. Hopefully you get some relief and much needed sleep.... And congrats on the HT. ;)

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Hi!

I tried sleeping on my back with two different airplane-type cushions, tried sleeping with a cervical collar, tried sleeping on the side.... no luck. And sleeping on my forehead is out of question as my nose gets way too stuffy this way.

Thanks!

Did you get a post-op instruction guide with medication? Are you sleeping? At one-week post-op FUT, you really have two problems, but you should notify your hair transplant clinic for proper resolution. Are you near a pharmacy or in touch with your general physician's office?

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians