Testosterone (trt) after hair transplant

Hello everyone,

I've tried researching this topic and spoke with my doctor prior to my hair transplant surgery. I have been on testosterone 200mg (100mg injections twice per week) for the past 2.5 years, along with HCG, and 0.5 anastrozole twice a week. It' is all prescribed (purchased legally from a pharmacy). During this time, I was unfortunately not taking any hair loss prevention supplements as I was not aware of the hair loss effects of testosterone :/

I have been taking Proscar (quarter tablet daily) and have been applying Rogaine (twice daily) since June of 2016. I had a hair transplant with Dr Haber back in September of 2016, 2,770 grafts, so I'm approaching the 4 month mark. Prior to surgery, I discussed all of this with Dr Haber and he said to continue my trt program as is, and that the hairs that are taken from the back of my head are resistant to DHT, but the hairs that remain on my head prior to surgery may be effected? Anybody on this forum on a trt program after surgery? I just don't know who else to talk to about this? Any help would be greatly appreciated

I was considering adding Anavar to this as from what I read, it is a mild steroid to DHT and would be prescribed at 50mg.

Will taking Proscar, Rogaine with Test 200mg, and Anavar 50mg effect anything 4 months after surgery? I'm just looking for some honest answers as I want to protect my investment.

Thanks for your time

It appears that you are on testosterone due to failure of internal glands producing this hormone. If your daily dose of tst does not exceed the physiologically required amount of this hormone, then it should be ok.

To protect your native hair susceptible to DHT, you will benefit from using anti DHT products.

sultsay

• Administrators

Those are pretty high doses for TRT, I imagine you must feel great but no doubt your testosterone is probably higher than most 20 yr olds. You can try dutasteride once per week along with the finasteride, dutasteride is a powerful 5 alpha reductase inhibitor which inhibits type I and type II DHT. To make it understandable finasteride blocks around 70% DHT and dutasteride can block up to 95%. Since you're on TRT I imagine you're regularly getting blood work done, just make sure your DHT levels are within range, you don't want to block it completely because DHT is an essential hormone for men, as you know much more androgenic than testosterone it does more good than bad that's for sure.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hi String,

It is smart that you want to do all you can to protect you HT investment. I've been on Fin for about 7 years and along with other things(minox, laser, Nizoral) feel that my hair loss was stabilized.

I started doing TRT androforte 5% cream daily for Australia about 3 years ago and used it throughout my HT and I think I got as good a yield as can be expected.

My test levels went from 490 to 700 ng/dL with 14.6 pg/mL free, so pretty decent for being 56 but not super high either.

Nizoral a couple times a week is a mild topical blocker. I use the laser comb for circulation and scalp follicle heath also.

I'm not an expert, but I would think you will be fine as long as T levels are not too crazy and you keep up a good regime.