Dutasteride & Reproductive Function

mmhce

I started Dutasteride today.

The following information was supplied in the enclosed drug information sheet.

"Reproductive Function: Dutasteride 0.5 mg/day causes no clinically meaningful changes in sperm concentration, sperm motility, or sperm morphology. A decrease in ejaculate volume with concomitant reduction in total sperm per ejaculate was observed but remained within the normal range. At 24 week post-treatment follow-up visit, mean values for both parameters returned to baseline."

My questions are this:

1. Does

Dutasteride 0.5 mg/day causes no clinically meaningful changes in sperm concentration,sperm motility, or sperm morphology. A decrease in ejaculate volume with concomitant reduction in total sperm per ejaculate was observed but remained within the normal range.
mean that since the ejaculate volume together with the total sperm produced are both reduced, that, thus, the sperm concentration remained the same?

But in any event, the reduced total sperm did still keep within normal range and at 24 week post-treatment follow-up visit, mean values for both parameters returned to baseline.

2. Am I correct in understanding that the both parameters are sperm concentration and ejaculate volume?

Thanks.

P.S. Alot of people here know that I don't appreciate idle chatter and nonsensical contributions. If you cannot answer the questions, or have no material contributions to provide, please refrain from posting on this thread.

take care...

• 2 weeks later...

I just came across this topic, and I think its a very important one.

I had the same concerns about 1.5 yrs ago. I started Avodart after 6 yrs of proscar with adequate results. Two months into avodart I noticed a huge change in sperm concentration. Ejaculate volume was the same, it just seemed way too watery. I asked the doc about it and he failed to give me an answer I was satisfied with. He told me I should be fine and if I was that concerned I should have a sperm test. Never had the test and quit the drug that day. It took close to a year but everything went back to the way it was pre-avodart.

I know this may not have been the answer you were looking for...just thought I would share my experience.

I hope you have better luck than I did. The drug just kind of scared the shit out of me.

hello,

you can see from my past posts that i started taking avodart last month. i had been taking propecia since 1997.

after just 2 weeks on avodart my libido is non existant and i have a difficult time getting an erection. needless to say i'm going back on propecia. i did notice that my ejaculate just oozed out instead of shooting out. i'm not sure if i gave avodart enough time to work...maybe it was mental as i was worried about the side. i tried taking avodart every day for one week then just 2-3 times per week. now i'm off it and my erections are getting a little better.

Using Propecia since 1997

Using Rogaine Foam once a day since 2012

Using Niazoral 2% once a week since 2012