Pain in donor 1 week post-op?

So had FUT about 8 days ago. Incision seemed to be very clean and issue free after surgery. No issues after inspected by surgeon.

The pain has diminished as expected in the week following the surgery. By day 5 or 6, I'd say my pain level was about a 2 or3. Then, at about day #7, the pain in my donor area sort of rose out of no where. Nothing incredibly intense, but I'd say a pain level of about 5-6. It's sore and tender to the touch.

I'm not too concerned, but it has startled me a bit. My sutures are due to come out tomorrow, so I will obviously see what my surgeon thinks.

The only thing I can think of is that hours before my last head-soaking, I cleaned my bath tub out with a cleaning agent containing bleach. Obviously, I rinsed the bathtub out thoroughly of any bleach before soaking my head. I simply cleaned it the way one cleans a bath tub (with bleach). Could it be that some residual bleach in the tub could have irritated or inflamed my incision?

Is it normal for pain to increase a bit in the day or 2 before the sutures come out? ,Could it be that the sutures are just ready to come out and that's what's causing the discomfort?

Could it be that some residual bleach in the tub could have irritated or inflamed my incision?

I would hate to think what that would do to your newly transplanted grafts if that's the case.

Be very careful what you do post-op, including your previous thread on applying sunscreen to your scalp and newly grafted hair..

As for donor pain, it's probably the nerve endings slowly coming back after the surgery trauma.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Could it be that some residual bleach in the tub could have irritated or inflamed my incision?

I would hate to think what that would do to your newly transplanted grafts if that's the case.

Be very careful what you do post-op, including your previous thread on applying sunscreen to your scalp and newly grafted hair..

As for donor pain, it's probably the nerve endings slowly coming back after the surgery trauma.

Oh, there is zero chance any of that water touched my new grafts. I only soaked the back of my head in the tub (as directed) and only used fresh water directly from the tap gently poured on my recipient area. I think I'm probably being a bit paranoid and your suggestion sounds like the most likely thing. I have been ultra-careful (probably overly) with my treatment of the recipient area.

Ok cool, sounds good.

Phantom pain as I like to call it may come and go over the next weeks as the severed nerve endings come back to normal.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Jeff,

Generally what happens is that the level of inflammation increases post-op and can take several weeks for it to subside. Swelling usually occurs outside of the scalp but inflammation occurs inside the scalp. That can also increase the discomfort. Swelling usually dissipates in a matter of days but inflammation can potentially linger longer.

You can always try some over the counter ibuprofen which has anti-inflammatory properties in it.

Congrats on your recent procedure....;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY